Blue and White Hunters Starq

Potential new customer, first quilt.

"I've looked at a lot of edge to edge patterns but can't find one that seems to complement the already intricate geometries of the pattern. I'm a designer and really particular about these things. :) I definitely want to avoid a curvilinear pattern."

Thanks for any suggestions.  My thoughts lean towards straight lines in the larger triangles, but I'm open to suggestions.

post-1438-0-93590700-1443447256_thumb.png

Well, it would certainly be helpful to have some idea what a "curvilinear pattern" is....Lots of starts and stops, but SID the stars. Lines 1/4 inch in on the stars inside each star segnent, not just the star as a whole. Maybe more tha 1/4 inch depending on how big the stars are and what kind of batting. Straight lines in the pieces connecting the stars. Feathers of some variety in the interior of the blocks created by the straight lines. I did one of these for my son with all lines and didn't care for it..but he loved it.

Well, if she doesn't want feathers in the traditional sense, there are ferns. Curvilinear to me would mean something like starting at one point in the block and just making loops or something like Pam Clarke does. You could do something like Judy Madsen does with Diamond shapes and fill in the Blue and white squares created by the lines I talked about before. Curvilinear...the term used by a person who fancies themselves an artist..but not so much that they actually want you to understand what they really mean.

Jen's quilt.jpg]post-2404-0-03741200-1443491063_thumb.jpgBeth you can do a combination of straight lines if no curvy lines are wanted.  Do cross hatching, parallel lines, diagonal lines, etc.  I did one of these for my daughter who is much more geometric then I am.  I did 1/4" crosshatching, very time consuming, but it really turned out great.  Here is a picture of it.  

Jen's quilt.jpg]attachicon.gifJen's quilt.jpgBeth you can do a combination of straight lines if no curvy lines are wanted.  Do cross hatching, parallel lines, diagonal lines, etc.  I did one of these for my daughter who is much more geometric then I am.  I did 1/4" crosshatching, very time consuming, but it really turned out great.  Here is a picture of it.

Holy smokes!! When you do the cross hatching do you do all of the lines in one direction first and then come back across? Do you start and stop each line when you got to the stars? I can't imagine how long that took but it looks fantastic.

Holy smokes!! When you do the cross hatching do you do all of the lines in one direction first and then come back across? Do you start and stop each line when you got to the stars? I can't imagine how long that took but it looks fantastic.

James thank you.  Yes I do all the lines in one direction but before I start that I always SID so nothing moves.  This quilt was super square so everything lined up perfectly.  I travel in the ditch.  I used my quiltazoid for this cross hatching and it made it so much easier!

James thank you.  Yes I do all the lines in one direction but before I start that I always SID so nothing moves.  This quilt was super square so everything lined up perfectly.  I travel in the ditch.  I used my quiltazoid for this cross hatching and it made it so much easier!

Thanks. I would think using a design board for something like that would be harder than a guide. I've played with a few of my design boards but since I'm not SR I've got to be real quick on the button.

I just recently did one of these for a customer!  I wasn't able to share the quilt itself in its entirety but I can share the mock ups I did for her.  In the areas where your client has a blue and white half square triangle my client had scrappy tans...so the only color was in the star itself.

21708960918_27b215d206_b.jpgStarMockUp by Valerie Smith, on Flickr

21870649726_46645c0327_b.jpgSashing by Valerie Smith, on Flickr

21708958948_a7c8828e63_b.jpgHuntersStarOpenBlockMockUp1 by Valerie Smith, on Flickr

Archived