APQS versus Gammill - help needed!

sepudwill

I'm new to this forum and am planning on purchasing a long arm quilting machine for a new home-based business. I have narrowed my search to the APQS Millie or the Statler/Gammill. I want a computerized system so am comparing Statler, Quilt Path and Intelliquilter. 

I would really appreciate any input or feedback this wise group has on how to decide which unit to purchase, and if it's the APQS, whether I should go with Quilt Path or Intelliquilter.

Thanks in advance for any help, expertise or wise advice that you can offer!

Sharon in Minnesota

Sharon, before you start planning on the computerized system to add to any longarm, try each of the machines in freehand or panto mode.  As much as you think a computer will do everything you need, you will still have times when you have to use the machine without the computer, and that's when it's important to feel comfortable with your machine.  Find dealers or reps in your area that will let you spend more than just a minute or two at a trade show, trying out their machines.  Or individual owners who will let you come to their studios/homes to play on their own machine.  Once you find the longarm that fits your style, space and budget, you can start evaluating the different computer choices for that brand.  Have fun on your search!!

Sharon, are you close to the SE MN area?  Lucy at o2bquilting has all the frame APQS machines in her studio, she also has both IQ and QP so you would be able to compare both systems and see what really works for you.  She has been a dealer in the area for quite a while as well as has a rental business using the machines.  She would have a wealth of info for you and good questions for you to answer for yourself.

Thanks for the great feedback! I've connected with Lucy at O2B Quilting and will visit her next week. I'll be seeing the Gammill dealer in St. Cloud Thursday! I had a little regret about not going to Des Moines this weekend, but I'm not a fan of the crowds and figured I'd rather visit dealers separately than the expo. Glad to head that the Millie is a sold machine! Not surprised, really. Thanks!

Have a great time with Lucy (and her Lucey and friends),  I think you will have a good time checking them all out.  Start writing down any questions you have now so you can remember what they are when you get there.  I can never remember some of the things I think of when I'm in a space to check some of those things out.

Then come back and tell us what one you choose.

I own a Millie also and I love love love her I don't have a computer yet but I will be in the market for one soon. Check out some circle lord boards to use on your longarm. That is a good way to get the feel of your machine. I have a few circle lord boards and they are wonderful. Another thing when you buy from APQS you get great support from the everyone at the company. I think the world of Amy and the other lady that works with her (I think her name is  Angela). If you have a question they are very helpful. Have fun shopping for your longarm :).

Archived