Help Help Help - my customer's quilt ran......

The title says it all, I am working on one of those crayon colored quilts and when I spritzed the lines I marked for quilting one of the blocks ran like crazy....not all of them, just one....what in the world do I do?  I tried pressing a color catcher against it but very little came up...I am not sure what she used on that one block but I think I have ruined her quilt....I could just cry -she put so much work into this....anyone have any suggestions?

Well, no on the hairspray, so I ran down to the LQS and got some synthropol to try dabbing it .....I did talk to her and she was afraid that soaking the entire quilt with synthrpol would remove the crayon in all the blocks so we will try that, worse case scenario, she will re-do the  block and I will remove the bad one and appliqué it into the quilt and then requilt it....she was very gracious after she got over the shock and said she wouldn't loose any sleep over it but I said I would!  

Vicki, if it makes you feel any better on Oct. 13th a needle broke on my customer's Christmas quilt jabbing and shredding the quilting line for about 4 inches before I got Quilt Path and Millie stopped AND because I bought a 1/2 size bigger shoe, I "stepped" a hole in the same customer's batting that I thought would be near enough towards the end of the quilt that it wouldn't be in the quilt, and it ended up IN the quilt (repaired of course).  I was sick over both issues and the customer just laughed and said "you know it is the 13th". 

I hope your "running" issues have been resolved by now.  We have to learn that we can't always control everything and that there's a resolution to most situations.  Last week I had a large quilt that the middle was set on point and puffed up when it was laid flat on the floor.  The customer assured me that if I used starch and steam on it to tame the puffiness that the colors wouldn't run because even though she didn't prewash her fabric that she had "sprayed everything with Best Press and none of the colors ran."  Guess what?  Yep, the colors bled when I starched it (no steam used).  I got lucky that a color catcher took care of it.

Hang in there!

Vicki, I'm sure you have the quilt fixed by now.  Cindy, I'm impressed.   Customer's really like to surprise us don't they.  Hairspray does work with small ink spots like the kind you get on a shirt but I wouldn't try it on a quilt.  Let us know how you make our.

Well, I got some synthropol and dabbed at the runs with a q-tip, this morning it does seem lighter so I think that may do the trick, I am so afraid to dunk this quilt so I may wait until I finish the quilting and then have the customer come over and we dunk only the bad block together and then see what happens.  I am sure it was the macron pen (brown) that she used to draw on the pattern, however she said she used the same pens all over the quilt and only 1/2 of this block ran, and no other blocks ran, and I spritzed them all....I think I am going to do a sample piece with sigma pens and wet them and see what happens, then try the synthropol on my sample to be sure it works before I do anything else to this quilt....but I think it would be wise to have her here with me and have her participate in what we think will fix it so that she is involved too.....I keep telling myself that it was her pen not mine that ran but if I hadn't spritzed it - it would not have run...so my fault!  I don't think I will ever spritz a quilt again although I have done plenty in my quilting career before with no problems.....

I would try the Synthropol. It does not remove set in color. It only lifts excess dye, bonds with it, and keeps it from redepositing on the quilt. I would imagine it was her pen that ran. She probably picked up a non color fast pen. I have removed everything but pigma pens, pencils, and Frixion pens from my studio since having an issue with one tiny dot making a mess of a white quilt patch. The dot was tiny, but it bled out to the size of a dime..fortunately not yet quilted so it could be removed and replaced. I didn't try synthropol, but I did try a lot of other stuff with no improvement.

I feel like I am doing a science experiment...but I will keep you all posted on what happens so if anyone else ever has this issue they will know what to do....but hopefully no one else will be dumb enough to spritz a quilt like I did....chalk it up to stressful education!

Vicki, I'm so sorry this is happening, and about the obvious stress it's caused, but I'm so proud of how conscientious you are, and how much you care.  Your client should be impressed with your heart and dedication, and like Heidi says, I bet it will all work out when you get down to it...   And you SHOULD be able to spritz a quilt, especially a custom...and when you breathe, remember in AND out.  Keep us posted.  hugs!!  Beth

So why in the world don't quilters think about this prior to making a whole quilt? I hope she never has to wash it because that will be a disaster. I know that seems mean but I have had about 3 quilts that the quilter did a specialty paint work on and you guessed right the darn things run just from trying to steam fullness out of it. I hope you have good results I thought I had this one cleaned up pretty good until I looked at the backing of boy there was another mess to fix. Good luck let us know how it turns out I know how you feel the sick feeling in your stomach.

Vicki:

I think that most quilters spritz their quilt tops.  You have to mark them for quilting at times.  Water is what you remove the marks with.

Looking at your pictures, I would just tell the piecer that the picture is now a foggy morning.  The Christmas lights a just glowing off the snow and ice crystals in the air.  By the way, the quilting looks wonderful.  She should be more than happy with your efforts all around.

Cagey

Oh wow Vicki. I completely understand why you were so upset. I only quilt for myself and I would have been in tears if this was mine. Of course it would have been my fault. Like your piecer. I put a hole in my nieces quilt I made her, with a broken needle. I bawled my eyes out.

Your quilting is beautiful and you did a fantastic job getting the run out. Congrats!

Vicki, I'm so glad this all worked out for you.  It looks great now and your customer should be pleased.

It's a beautiful quilt and she's lucky to have you as her quilter. 

It's one heck of a way to learn something, but you taught us all a valuable lesson.

Archived