monofilament in big cones

Where can we buy larger cones of poly monofilament? Superior only has 2400 yard spools--although they said they did have 66,000 yard "cones" at one time that were as big as a can of paint and wouldn't fit on the machine! LOL!!! Karen McT's fabulous new video shows big cones that will fit on the machine and I would like to know where to find these.

Cathey, wondering how long it would take to go through 66,000 yards of poly monofilament....

I have one of those huge cones of monofilament!! I ordered it in 2005 along with a "small" cone of smoke mono.

OMG---that cone is HUGE!! It has a clear plastic cover about the size of a 2 liter pop bottle.

I was shocked when I got it and it does not fit on the machine. My DH made a stand-extender of thin wood (masonite) in an oval shape so I could use it.

It's hilarious to see and generates lots of customer comments. No way could I ever use it up!

Linda Rech

How funny, Linda! How much did it weigh? I have a picture in my mind's eye of your machine head listing to one side from the weight of it.

Karen McT responded and also uses the Madiera Monolon. If it's good enough for Sherry and Karen, it's good enough for me. Ha!

Hi Cathey,

Cathey, wondering how long it would take to go through 66,000 yards of poly monofilament....

The AQS 2007 winner, Ricky Tims' Fire Dragon Rhapsody has 10,000 yards of red silk thread.

I bet it's heavy.....

I have a Karen McT DVD. I guess I'll have to get that new video. And some Madeira Monolon.

Thanks for the tip.

Google is my home page! LOL!

I think polyamide is a fancy name for nylon. Has anyone heard the stories about "poor Harriet's" (Hargrave) early quilts falling apart because she used nylon thread? There is so much misinformation flying around on the internet, it's hard to know what to believe. I heard that from someone in a trunk show at my guild. Harriet is still sellling nylon thread on her website, so that story is probably not true. Or it could be that her quilts are just worn out from years of being handled and shown. I also show more wear today than I did 25 years ago. :P

I wonder if we need to take precautions when laundering quilts quilted with nylon. Does nylon melt at normal dryer temps? Harriet launders hers in her washer and dryer. They looked fine to me when I saw them a few years ago. This is a good subject for a test when my monolon arrives.

It's nylon thread. I think the story about Harriet is really old, before the new technologies were developed that have given us our newer threads. It's not supposed to melt and I know I've dried my quilts at the higher temp when a guest has used my washer or dryer and changed the temp from what I normally use without my realizing it. I've used it in quilts, wash them, dry them, not a problem. I think it's similar to what they use in the sports type clothings like the track suits. If it's good enough for that, and Harriet is selling it on her site as well as other sources I don't thnk there would be a problem with it. Of course I use clorox 2 on my quilts and other colored fabrics without any fading either!

It is a very fine thread, durn near hair fine, and Kenna is correct, much of the negative feedback is from 1000 years ago when cavemen manufactured our stuff! I personally dont wash or tumble dry too many of my quilts and I sure dont iron them, so I dont care what the thread is made from as long as I get a good quality trouble free stitch! There, I said it....hope this helps. (wink)

Sherry and others:

A few questions come to mind after reading this thread:

-Do you use the nylon thread for mainly SID or do you use it for everything?

-When starting and stopping do you do anything different(from regular thread) to secure the ends?

-Have you used in a quilt that was judged? Have you had or heard any negative feed back from judges for using nylon.

Thanks!

Hi Sonja

I use it when mainly for outlining or stitching around applique. Come to think of it, I also used it once to stitch the curved radiating lines in my pheonix wholecloth as well. It is hair fine and holds very well to my bobbin thread which is typically either a coats v15 poly pre-wound or a self wound bottom line. I have not been much of a show quilter up till now but Joyce's Formal Fantasy Garden will be judged at MQS. I'll share any comments I get when I get them.

Diane Gaudynski in her Quilt Savvy Machine Quilting book revealed that she used monofilament exclusively in her early quilts because it hides the bobbles. hehe Hard to imagine Diane G having bobbles in her quilts. Now, of course, her stitches are all perfect and she uses silk thread to show them off.

Monofilament just became my favorite thread!

Archived