Borders

I do not have a machine at this time, but did, and will  :) I always started from the top down. I did SID in the seam between the border and the body, or next border. Some pin within the border for more stabalization, I never did that, but I guess you could. I just didn't want to mess with removing the pins. 

Hi Sheila,  I do the borders as I go.  The quilt seems to lay better.  It keeps everything flowing more evenly.  If I am doing  curvy feathers in the border, I draw the curved lines in  before I load the quilt.  If the feathers are to be in a straight line, I  usually do that line as I advance the loaded quilt.  I take a picture of my  first two  corners or diagram them on paper (after I have quilted them) so I will know what they look like when I get to the other end of the quilt and I can repeat the same design on that end.   Sometimes I forget to do that and have to unroll  back to the first corners to see what I did!  I hope this helps. Jan

It really depends on the type of feathers and how easy they are to do on the sides.  If I can easily start and stop I'll do the feathers as I work down the quilt.  I always SID first, do the middle, then the borders.  If the feathers are not easily interrupted then I pin the snot out of the borders as I go, quilt the top border, quilt the bottom border and all the middle or most of it, then turn and do the sides.  If I'm doing a lot of dense quilting in the middle I leave some of that to the end because I don't want the middle to shrink up disproportionately.  

Thank you all for your advice. I am still practicing different ways to quilt and do not yet have the confidence to do a quilt yet. Have not had my Lenni very long and will get my training next Monday. I know the magic word is PRACTICE! So thank you all again for the helpful tips.

Judy;

We George owners can do boarders slightly different, but I believe the mentioned Jamie Wallen videos and his curly amish feather videos explain rather well how longarmers must mark their quilts prior to putting them on the frame.  I just wish he had more free videos, as I like watching them.  I think it helps me develop muscle memory when I try to think ahead of him as he stitches out his design. 

Cagey

Yes cagey, I like him also.in fact after watching those two videos I have decided to try feathers on my hexagon quilt I am ready to do. My rulers came yesterday so I will get a chance to start today. I will take my George training after houston show. They are vendors there and have been very busy. I wanted some time to just get familiar with George first.

Archived