corral31@telus.net

Arrived at destination...."end of my rope" asking for help

I have had my Millie since February and it does not matter what batting or thread (quilt path or freemotion, tie offs or no tie offs) I use in any combination whatsoever.....the first four or five or even sometime 8 inches at the beginning of a row of sewing is "bobbin barf"????  once it gets going it's totally fine but the first little bit of almost every single row is garbage and has to be frogged and resewn.

I am at the end of my rope as to why this is happening?  any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  I had a gammill for 8 years and NEVER ran into this issue until I bought my millie so I have to guess this is machine specific?????

Of course I know you will all ask anyway so just so you know I am using filtec prewound bobbins and batting to date that this issue occurs with is all three of the following:  hobbs 80/20, warm and natural and bamboo.

thanks in advance.

What does "bobbin barf" mean?  What the stitches look like will, often times tell you something about the cause.  Are you getting a "bird's nest" of top thread on the back?  Or is the bobbin thread flat, and the top thread just loops?  Are your Filtec bobbins with or without magnets?  Are the bobbins plastic, paper sided, or no sided?  Do you have a backlash spring in your bobbin case?  A little more info will probably help us diagnose your issue.  Jim

Hi Jim, thanks for your reply.  the Filtec bobbins are magnetized so no there is no backlash spring in my bobbin case or sides of any kind on the bobbins but it honestly doesn't matter....even if I use a bobbin case with a backlash spring and wind my own bobbins it still happens, EVERY combination of thread or batting I use the problem stays the same regardless of any combination of anything whatsoever, therefore my need to post about the issue.  I have already tried everything I can possibly imagine.

bobbin barf is a birds nest of top thread on the bottom...

That shouldn't happen.  Here are a few things I'd try:

1.  Did you try a different bobbin case?

2.  Have you tried holding the thread tails when you start?  I always hold my threads until I stitch about 7 or 8 stitches

Since it starts only at the beginning I'm inclined to believe that it has something to do with how it feeds at the start.  

I believe you need to warm up your machine first. I sew on the excess back and batting sticking out. I use one stitch to pull up my bobbin thread. Then I hit the start button then the accelator button until I get the speed I want, Turn it off and then put it where I want to start. Then I use one stitch to bring up bobbun thread and start sewing.  Hope this  helps. Carol

Since you've had 8 years of experience long arm quilting before your millennium, I would call the company and tell them of your issues.  I think something must be out of alignment or adjustment, whether it be a set screw or something.  I've never really had to warm up my machine because I keep it in a controlled environment.  I do take a couple of stitches to begin with and hold the tails with my fingers, but occasionally not and not had the thread mess you describe.  I would take photos, showing how you have the machine threaded, the bobbin area, the thread mess you describe, etc. and e-mail them to tech support...after calling them first, explaining the problems.  My experience has been that they are very willing to spend the time helping work out any problems.  Good luck!

Debbie

Hi all, yes I do warm up my machine before I start. Yes I have tried a different bobbin case, yes I clean and oil between each and every bobbin.

I have also tried holding the tails, tie offs, not tying off and sewing in the excess batting and backing before starting into the row, none of this makes a difference, I have sewn for a full 15 inches in the batting backing and then started into my row and still had the problem, hmmm?

any other thoughts?

The only time my Millie does this is when I forget to put her in stitch regulated mode and don't start moving the machine fast enough after pushing the start button. I would call APQS and talk with them.

I had it happen a couple times and realized i'd had my bobbin filled too far. So, i reset my bobbin winder to stop earlier, and wala...no issues!

F55CA928B31BF9D50E35FB71F402EFB1.png Millennium/IntelliQuilter 402-450-8321 Designer of the 1/2" foot for Ult II's. 1sheributler@gmail.com

Corral31:

Does it only happen when you tie off at the end of a row stitching left to right?

If so, try stitching right to left and see if the same thing happens.

Though in the end, I say call Dawn at APQS and get her input.  It is probably something easy to fix that we are all just not understanding/missing.

Cagey

May your threads be balanced, and your bobbin forever full….

Corral:  Is your take-up spring working properly? (the little loop spring that's part of the tension assembly)  It should smoothly cycle with every stitch.  (from about 12 o'clock to 8 o'clock)  Perhaps it is dragging on the machine head or tension assembly.  When mine misbehaves, I get loose top thread on the back.  To check the movement, simply pull and release the top thread several times to see how the spring moves.  Then start a line of stitching, watching the movement of the spring.  If it doesn't move the same when stitching as it did when you pulled the the thread, or if it moves different from stitch, this may be the culprit.   Jim

thank you all again for your input and replies, I appreciate it very much.  Jim, I did just have my machine serviced a few weeks ago as I wanted to make sure my problem wasn't a mechanical issue...I left a phone message for them right after to discuss the issue and have never had a reply, that being said, I believe the check spring is working correctly.

Cagey, good point about right to left vs. left to right - I am still used to starting on the left of the quilt and stitching to the right and yes this is when it occurs.  I can sew my tension test in the extra batting and backing and all is good and as soon as I start on the actual quilt I then get the issue....

as this is a very crucial issue and it really does need to be fixed as I feel it's kind of unacceptable for a pretty much brand new machine I will have to put in another call/email to Dawn at APQS.  I have mentioned it to her previously however it was at the time....not my biggest issue but now it really has become a total pain.

thanks again and if and when I find out the solution I will be sure to post in case others are having the same issue.  have a great weekend!

I had this problem with some fil tec bobbins. The problem was that the bobbin had to much thread and was dragging against the walls of the bobbin case. When you load a new bobbin look and see if it has free motion all the way around the inside of the case. If it touches anywhere, just spool off some of the thread and it should be free to go. Just a thought and something that happened to me.

829834B6A4EFB2C9917C5B33099F9108.png

This is crazy but I never had this happen until yesterday.  It turned out that my tension wasn't tight enough.  I was testing it to be sure all was okay and the straight lines were fine but the first circle I did had nests on the bottom.  Just the first one though...after that it straightened out.  

I'm not suggesting that this is your solution since you're so experienced...it's just what happened to me.  

Joan

Maybe try only using 2 of the three holes on the thread bar above the tension disk.  Amy had me do this when I first started with my George.  From then on, I only adjust my tension disk, and I have had no problems using different threads.  I wind my own bobbins.  I think you have to find what works for you, and then stick with it.

Cagey

May your threads be balanced, and your bobbin forever full….