Quick Q. While I stop for Coffee

amadarling

Hi there! -  I am hoping someone can comment or advise - for some time I've experienced a 'rattle' or a vibration that sounds as if it could be coming from the upper rear part of my Millie.

Before I take off the top hood to investigate I was wondering if this is a common symptom of the motor brushes requiring replacement? I've never replaced brushes before so would welcome any advice re what might be causing this vibrating noise. 

Warm regards

Amanda 

I've never noticed worn brushes making any difference in the sound of the machine other than eventually it makes no sound. Try touching the covers while it is running and see if it is a cover rattling. The top cover on Brenda's machine got a slight bend in it from someone leaning on it a caused a rattle. Don't forget to check all the cover screws to make sure they are tight. You should check your motor brushes at least once a year for wear anyway and replace if they are less than three eights of an inch long. When you check the brushes cover the motor with an old rag and blow compressed air through the brush holders. Make sure there are no quilts nearby as the carbon dust goes everywhere.

Nigel

I was told by a sewing/quilting machine repair man, the best way to tell if your brushes need to be replaced is if you hold the machine running at a constant speed.  If the motor sounds like it is increasing and then decreasing speed, then the brushes need to be replaced.  He went on to say, unless you are using the machine darn near 24/7 for years, the brushes rarely wear out.  Just what I have what I was told.  

You can pick up rubber washers that fit the screws that hold down the cover.  Put them between the main housing and the cover, and it takes most of the vibration noises away.  I put nylon washers on the outside to make sure when the screw head rubs agains the paint when you tighten them, that they to not damage the paint.  Yes, it is AR, but you have to take care of your baby.

Cagey

Archived