Talk About Clueless

I was at Cardiac Rehab the other day working out.  A couple of ladies and I were talking about going to the Houston International Quilt Festival and I was telling them of the magnificient quilts they have there on display.

One of the ladies, just as serious as she could be said, "I bet some of the show quilts could cost up to $500.00 if you could buy one."  I almost fell off my exercise bike.  I explained as best I could that $500 might pay for the fabric and pattern if it was a large quilt.  I had priced a Judy Nehymeyer (spelling) pattern and fabric for her Glacier Star and it was almost $300.00....that's not counting the time to piece the quilt....then the time to quilt it.

One lady I talked to this year at the festival did a king or queen size Whole Cloth quilt which was was one of the most beautiful quilts I've ever seen...it took her over 2 1/2 years to make...now what do you think she would take for it!  (I've attached a pic of the quilt)

The lady in rehab was amazed.  Hopefully I helped her understand a bit about pricing quilts and you get what you pay for.

David

post-66081-0-63152600-1446293216_thumb.jpg

Every time someone my husband knows tells him about a new baby in the family he turns to me and says "You should make them a quilt."  Anymore I just roll my eyes at him.  Non-quilters still believe quilts can be made for less than $100 and your time doesn't count.  I tell those people to go to Target and buy one of those quilts. 

A quilt is a labor of love.  A gift you only give to someone that will respect the fabric.  

Because I know that I just might shoot the gift recipient if I saw their dog or cat using it for a bed roll.  It is one thing if the person you gave it to is sick with an illness, and the pet is sleeping with them.  It is another if it is in the dog kennel.  

One of the teachers at my local elementary school recently asked me if I could make a quilt like a did for the teacher that taught my five daughters.  She wanted at least a twin more like a queen size quilt made from her daughter's T-shirts.  I was up front with her, and told her that she could not afford me.  I would have to charge my hourly work rate, because of how much time goes into organizing, cutting, piecing, and finally quilting.  Though I told her I would gladly help her make the quilt.  That I might do some large meander quilting for her, but thought the local computer guided quilt place would do a faster and better job.  I knew that I would revert back to my ways, and want to go 1/4 spacing, and it would take me forever.  

In the end, normal people just do not understand the time and money that goes into quilting.  That is exactly why the hobby/business is compared to the illegal drug trade.  

Cagey

A quilt is a labor of love.  A gift you only give to someone that will respect the fabric.  

Because I know that I just might shoot the gift recipient if I saw their dog or cat using it for a bed roll.  It is one thing if the person you gave it to is sick with an illness, and the pet is sleeping with them.  It is another if it is in the dog kennel.

Brenda has had a couple of customers get their quilts appraised if they are giving them as gifts. You give the quilt with the appraisal and let the recipient know the appraisal is for their insurance purposes. When they see the value you can bet the dog won't be laying on it.

Nigel

What does it cost to get a quilt appraised; round about?

Cagey

PS:  The first free motion quilting instructor said she gave a family member a quilt valued at about $5,000.  They new the work she did, and the value of the quilts she produced.  A year later while visiting said family member, the quilt was on the floor with the dog, and ruined by its claws.  She did not say a word as it was a gift, and as a gift the recipient can do with it as they please.  Though she chose to never give a quilt to anyone that would not truly appreciate the gift, and "respect the fabric".

Cagey

I am now very particular who I make quilts for.  I made a wedding quilt for a friend's son, spending hours and driving to many different shops to find just the right fabrics. I spent way more on just the fabric than I normally give for a gift. Never did get a thank you for it and I cringe every time I drive past their house and see it hanging over the window to keep the light out of the bedroom.  On the other hand my son wants me to make a quilt for him to put over his Harley for the winter because just a regular old blanket wouldn't be good enough for his bike, it need some thing special to cover it.  

Brenda has had a couple of customers get their quilts appraised if they are giving them as gifts. You give the quilt with the appraisal and let the recipient know the appraisal is for their insurance purposes. When they see the value you can bet the dog won't be laying on it.
Nigel

When my grandson graduated from high school I made a quilt and gave it to him along with the appraisal.  My biggest fear was that he would take the quilt to college and it would be stolen.  He was impressed, proclaimed that he was not taking it to college and that no one was going to sleep under it!  :lol:   In this area an appraisal by an AQS certified appraiser is $50.   ​

We. Have people come into our shop on a regular basis who have just been shopping at Walmart. When we give them a price so matter how we do it, every time they run out of the store like we are pointing a gun at them!

Roger was teaching a class a year ago and a construction worker in building fixing something asked for a price on a quilt. Roger gave him what he thought was a low price and the guy had a little hissy fit. When he stopped talking one of Rogers students piped up and said she thought he would say at least double that. The whole class got into explaining wheat went into it. Someone even asked him what he got paid per hour. The guy apologized, but did not buy th quilt....

A non quilting friend asked me once if $500 was a fair price to get a quilt quilted..............she thought that was just an outrageous amount..............I went on to explain to her all that is involved, lit would depend on the detail, size of quilt, etc.........she is a fabulous knitter and makes gorgeous sweaters that she spends weeks on...........I asked her what she thought HER sweaters were worth after all that............haha   She got the point.

I agree most don't get it because they've been shopping at WalMart or Cracker Barrel.  However, the same people don't think twice about paying $200 or more for a bedspread at Sears, Penneys, Kohls etc.  I just shake my head when I'm asked about a double or queen sized T-Shirt quilt and I tell them they start between $400-$500.  We should capture some of the faces they make and post them.  I like the appraisal idea but have no idea where the nearest appraiser would be, I can't even find quilters here in MI.

I have a question about appraisers.  First, a comment.  I looked at the list Yankiequilter provided and can't believe there is not one appraiser in the Houston area on the list.

Now how does one become an appraiser?  No, I don't want to be one....just curious as to what qualifications one would have to have to be an appraiser and who decides that.

David

I had to quit posting pictures of my work on FB as my non quilting friends thought it would be so! much! fun! for me to make them a quilt!  They just wouldn't leave me alone no matter how times I said I no.  Hey, just because it's my hobby, does mean I do it for the cost of fabric!  Or the cost of my time either.  I quilt to de-stess.  I am not stessing over making YOUR quilt.  Unless I WANT to.  Believe me, I have made plenty of quilts for plenty of people for plenty of reasons.  But they were people that I chose, for reasons that were my own.

That Houston wholecloth is stunning.  The maker's name escapes me but I saw it posted somewhere a few days ago.  The story behind it is beautiful; it is a memorial tribute to her mother.

For Dave, and those interested in reading more about what is necessary to become an appraiser, check the following links.  Full disclosure, Kathy Kansier is the appraiser in my area who has done several appraisals for me.  I did a Google search 'qualifications for AQS appraiser' and her web site and info came up on the first page.  I know that she has done appraisals at the Paducah quilt show, and the NQA show.  She does a thorough and professional appraisal, no affiliation, blah blah.  So let me know when you are coming to the beautiful Ozarks to get your appraisals and we can do lunch.   :lol:

http://www.quiltappraisers.org/

http://kathykansier.com/services/aqs-quilt-appraisals/

Thanks Yankiequilter for the links.  Very interesting.  I guess it was just understood but they never mentioned that you had to be a quilter to be an appraiser.  Of course why would someone know so much about quilts if they weren't a quilter.  LOL.

I can't even tell you how much a spool of my thread costs a week after I purchased it so I'll never make an appraiser.

Again thanks for the links.

David

Archived