Thread breakage. Newbie frustration.

I'm stitching out my first pantograph E2E with QuiltPath.   I am loving it and excited except that the thread keeps breaking.  Like every 8 inches or so.  I'm new to this, remember.  What are the first things I should do to try to keep the thread from breaking?  I don't want to switch thread if I don't have to.  

I am quilting on a small lap quilt that I made just to practice on, but I really like it, and I found the absolutely perfect  variegated thread for the quilt. It's a Superior Threads King Tut 100% cotton 40wt thread.  I know some folks don't like this thread at all for the APQS machine.  But is there a way I MIGHT get it to stop breaking?  What would you do first?  I'm assuming that changing the thread path might do something....but what?  

Enlighten me, please.  I'll go skip a couple holes and stitch till it breaks a couple more times, and then keep checking back for your brilliant answers.  

like I said...I'm a newbie, and everything I try is teaching me more and more.  I appreciate learning from mistakes, but I need to LEARN.  (smirk).

Thanks!

It would help to know what kind of machine you have, as well as what thread is in the bobbin, the type of fabric and batting, etc.. 

When you pull on your top thread, does the wire by your tension disc (sorry, can't think of the name right now) move from about 11 to about 9?  If not, your top tension could be too tight.

Give us some more information, and I'm sure more experienced members will be chiming in soon.

Here is a link to Superior's trouble shooting guide. Basically use a 4.5 needle if you have it and back the tension way off and try stitching. Skipping a hole or two in the three hole guide will also help to reduce tension. If you can get it to sew without breaking add some tension until the stitches are good or the thread starts to break again. If you get more breaking back the upper and bobbin tensions off and try again. https://vw-superiorthreads.storage.googleapis.com/docs/troubleshooting-guide.pdf

Nigel

King Tut is a tough thread to start out with. Some threads need to be babied until you figure them out, and I think King Tut is one of them. You may want to try some thread lubricant. I know you asked about heat for your studio, so if it is too dry in your room, that can cause problems with the thread too. Lastly, how are you holding your mouth  :D

Mary Beth, it wasn't ME who asked about heat for my studio.  

So I finished the quilt.  First, I changed the angle of the three hole guide right above the tension disks--just slightly, but it seemed right to me. I also went up the first hole, skipped the second hole and down through the third, using one less hole. Then I loosened the tension guide (yes the little wire was moving down correctly).  The tension disks were the answer, I think.  I managed to stitch out the rest of top with only a couple of breaks.  

Thank goodness for Dawn Cavenaugh.  I took my beginner's class from her and she gave us permission to play with the machine.  I felt confident enough that I wasn't going to ruin anything by experimenting with the thread guides and tension discs.  

I knew King Tut may be tough to start with, but it was the PERFECT variegated colors for this top.  I still have lots to learn but this was a great way to learn a bunch in one night, and I have a nice lap quilt to use around the house.  It's not perfect, but it's DARN COOL.  

Thanks for all your support.  Sometimes just walking away from the machine long enough to post on this forum is what I need.  

I'll know next time to include that this was an all cotton pieced top, with Warm Orient Blend (or something like that) batting.  Bobbin was a pre-wound Superior thread.

Y'all are the bomb!

Sounds like you are on your way to being a great quilter.  Just like Dawn said play with your new toy.  King Tut is a challenge so you're way ahead by taking it on first, lol.  Remember that the "needle" can cause problems to,  if it's been used for awhile (sometimes new ones can have a burr on them or bent slightly).  I don't change needles when practicing unless I have problems but I always start a quilt with a new needle.  Don't forget to include what APQS machine you are using and what type of bobbin thread with the info.  Superior and others make pre-wound bobbins with different types of thread on them.  Happy quilting!!!

Mary Beth, it wasn't ME who asked about heat for my studio.  

So I finished the quilt.  First, I changed the angle of the three hole guide right above the tension disks--just slightly, but it seemed right to me. I also went up the first hole, skipped the second hole and down through the third, using one less hole. Then I loosened the tension guide (yes the little wire was moving down correctly).  The tension disks were the answer, I think.  I managed to stitch out the rest of top with only a couple of breaks.  

Thank goodness for Dawn Cavenaugh.  I took my beginner's class from her and she gave us permission to play with the machine.  I felt confident enough that I wasn't going to ruin anything by experimenting with the thread guides and tension discs.  

I knew King Tut may be tough to start with, but it was the PERFECT variegated colors for this top.  I still have lots to learn but this was a great way to learn a bunch in one night, and I have a nice lap quilt to use around the house.  It's not perfect, but it's DARN COOL.  

Thanks for all your support.  Sometimes just walking away from the machine long enough to post on this forum is what I need.  

I'll know next time to include that this was an all cotton pieced top, with Warm Orient Blend (or something like that) batting.  Bobbin was a pre-wound Superior thread.

Y'all are the bomb!

Sorry, I was confused. Nothing new. I want to see pictures when you are ready to post.