Primitive Quilt

I have received this stunning quilt to quilt that is made up of wool appliquéd onto homespun.  The customer is very nervous about having a longarmer finish her quilt as she always hand quilts everything and I am thrilled that she trusts me with this beautiful quilt....I am thinking about outlining the appliqué and then using several different fills for backgrounds on the different blocks but am still stumped on the outside border and sashing....does any one have any input or thoughts on this one?

Thanks!

https://www.flickr.com/gp/sewmanyquiltssewlittletime/tRLNxX

Hi Vicki!

OK. LOVE this quilt!

If it were me, i'd also do different background fills in all the blocks.

In the outer brown border, i'd do straight line quilting 3 lines 1/4" apart, then a half inch away one, FILLING THAT PORTION IN with an up and down close together, then repeat 3 more lines 1/4" apart. It's STUNNING when finished, and it REALLY makes the whole quilt just sing!

Hi Vicki!

OK. LOVE this quilt!

If it were me, i'd also do different background fills in all the blocks.

In the outer brown border, i'd do straight line quilting 3 lines 1/4" apart, then a half inch away one, FILLING THAT PORTION IN with an up and down close together, then repeat 3 more lines 1/4" apart. It's STUNNING when finished, and it REALLY makes the whole quilt just sing!

Sheri - This sounds so intriguing, but I'm not really sure about the second part - do you have a picture or drawing?  I love ruler work, and this does sound like something I would like to try.

I don't understand the reasons for using two fabrics in the last two borders.  One would have looked fine to me.  However,, since it's there, I would do some type of line.  I'm not sure what Sheri is saying about the fill, but you can always do 3 1/4 inch lines and then an inch line, just something to break it up.  On the inside of the spine I'd do pebbles or feathers.  I'm not sure about quilting through wool, so you'd have to decide which design would work better.  

You won't have any trouble doing different fills in the blocks because you've done them before beautifully.

Libby, your three 1/4" lines, followed by a 1" line is the same as mine except you FILL IN the 1" spacing with an updown motion. It will be rounded at your top swing and rounded at the bottom swing. (think of a paper clip how it's rounded at both ends.) You could also micro-stipple that 1" area, or put in whatever you want to push the fabric down. CLEAR AS MUD?  LOL!

I love these primitive quilts but have a horrible time with them due to the thickness of the wool. When there is a large applique area that needs quilting inside, I can get through 2 layers of the wool but that's it.  I've got a Gammill.  I can't exactly change my hopping foot height, as I'm still having to sew through regular fabrics in the background.  I actually had to turn away one Sue Spargo quilt as the background fabric was wool too and I couldn't even get near the appliques.  I tried but felt my workmanship was not up to par so I ripped out everything and gave it back to my customer.  I felt terrible but didn't want to do a less than perfect job.  Does anyone have any ideas that might help me in the future?

Sandy Lachowski

Sorry that happened to you Sandy, I don't find my machine has a problem unless it is a lot of seams coming together that make a really thick bump that I can usually avoid or if I go very slow with the needle going through the fabric it isn't a problem....I have a Millie and find that she pretty much goes through anything I ask her to quilt...I think one of the other problems lots of quilters have is the thick fusable stuff that some like to use in their appliqué....that can be hard to quilt and I try to avoid those too...

Maybe you could sew the backgrounds and then raise your hopping foot to just do the appliqué's...then put the foot back when finished?  A pain to be sure but one way I can think to do it....

Thanks Vicki--that would be an option.  I'm always scared to make those kinds of adjustments.  When my machine is working perfectly, I hate to take a chance and change things.  I'm afraid I won't be able to get it back to the perfect stage again .  After 15 years of this business, you'd think I would be able to get into my bigger girl pants, but no.

Archived