Thread breakage, and Sewers Aid

For those of you who use Sewers Aid regularly, this will come as no revelation, but for those of us who don't, I must say I think a lot of thread issues can be solved by using it.

For a long time I've heard people talk about using silicon to lube thread.  Most mention Sewers Aid.  I occasionally looked a places like JoAnn's, but never found it.  Finally I decided I needed some, and looked hard at our LQS.  I found it in a tiny bottle on a card board package.  The reason I had never found it before was that I was looking for something that looked completely different.  (a large bottle, or a spray can)

I had an opportunity to use it on a particularly difficult to sew Amazon Star quilt make with all batiks.  (the problems I was having with this quilt is the reason I decided I needed to find some)  Well, I have say, it made a world of difference.  The only problem I had while using it was that I had to reapply occasionally as it wore off.

Since I finished the Amazon Star, I've done some experimenting, and found it helps with other issues I've had.  You might have noted that in the past I've said that I've had some problems with Glide thread breaking, and avoid using it when I can.  Well, a bit of Sewers Aid helps with that.  It looks like I can now use Glide thread without fear of breaks.  All I'll have to do is reapply whenever I encounter a thread break.

So, for any of you out there who haven't used it, and encounter thread breakage problems that aren't cause by machine maladjustment, do yourself a favor, get some Sewers Aid, and use it.  Jim 

There is also a more liquid silicone thread lube available on line if you search for it. You can immerse the entire cone,or paint it on with a brush. Lasts for years. I bought some 8 years ago and shared with friends. If I recall, it was under $20 for a pint.

I have never used it but thanks for the info.   I have always wondered if the sewers aid thread leaves any residue in the stitched holes?

Any liquid that you get on the fabric completely evaporates in a short time. I usually apply and stitch off-quilt for an inch or two. I re-apply to the bobbin thread as needed.

Here's a source without a price.http://www.clearcoproducts.com/silicone-thread-lubricant.html

I've used the much-thinner liquid silicon and also Sewer's Aid and much prefer the thicker Sewer's Aid. It's more expensive per volume, but it isn't messy and works well for me. I buy it wholesale at EE Schencks.

I found Clearco, too, Linda, but the only size options listed are a 5 gallon cube or a 55 gallon drum!

I just ordered a quart from a company called Tippmann Industrial.  Hope I like it as much as Sewer's Aid.  Squeezing that little bottle really bothers my wrist, as I have carpal tunnel and arthritis in it.

Judy

I pour mine directly from the bottle into a wine glass, and start sipping about 15 to 20 minutes prior to quilting.  It limbers up my fingers and toes, plus it makes me slightly less critical of my quilting skills or lack there of.  While George is getting warmed up, I am too so to say.  

Oh..., I'm sorry I thought you were talking about the secret "quilters aid".  You were asking about sewer's aid.  When I use "sewer's aid" I just squeeze out three lines equal distance apart from top to bottom of the thread spool, and three drops on the equal distance apart on the bobbin.  Though I have started doing the same with mineral oil, and it seems to work about the same for me.

Have fun sipping and quilting.  Just don't sip too much.  While it can turn out some smooth lines, the detail accuracy tends to suffer a tad.  Though you really won't care.  Just be sure to away from any ruler work, since any APQS machine can easily stitch through your skinny little finger.

Cagey

Oh Cagey I love your answer. I surely will try the "quilters aid" first

. Then I will try applying the sewers aid. I truly watch out for my fingers. I still have all of them after about 35 years of team roping and ranching. I would feel pretty foolish sewing into one after all that.

I have immersed entire cones in the liquid in a wide mouth jar. You leave it in there for a bit to let it penetrate. Suspend the cone over the edge of the jar by putting a pencil through the cone and let the excess drip off. I didn't find it at all messy. It looks like the color changes, but once dry it returns to the original color. That takes awhile. It does not leave a residue on the quilt and you don't have to let the cone dry all the way. The color returns to normal quickly on the quilt..much faster than on the cone. I prefer it to Sewers Aid because one dunk and I am done. No reapplying every so often, and no untreated spots. But whatever works for you. I found the liquid to be way more cost effective. There is a little reservoir that you can attach to your machine that you just run the thread through as you quilt, but I didn't want to go to the added expense for an intermittent problem. I don't know where I saw it and it was in favorites a couple computers ago. I will see if I can find it again.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the great info.

One question, do you find that your tension runs much looser with sewers aide( I use a towa so I could apply and test) but becomes variable as it evaporates while you quilt? I live in a humid environment so evaporation doesn't happen quite as fast.

I agree with Cagey about the secret sewers aide- but be careful.....when you "reapply" things can get really fast and loose!

Debbie

Archived