icolorize

PERFUME ODOR...HELP!!

My elderly aunt recently died. She was a stylish dresser who purchased many beautiful, expensive, Pendelton wool coats and blazer outfits that still look show room new! I'd like to donate them to a woman's outreach, of some sort, but there is a problem...they reek of nasty perfume!

The odor is in everything, including her towels, so I susspect that she routinely added the scent because she liked it.

There are blouses that I have washed twice...but the odor remains. One week after two washed and dryer dried blouses were left hanging in my laundry room...the room smelled! Is there a way to remove an odor that is in almost every piece of clothing or do they need to be tossed?:o

Thanks for sharing...There is sew much to learn!

Bette Slag

Elk River, Mn

had the same issue when my mother passed. You could tell which clothing she favored just by the perfume smell on them. I was lucky though, I always loved her perfume when I was growing up.

Have u tried FeBreeze? If it works on sports equipment and smelly tennis shoes(I have one teen in sports) then it may work on the perfume.

Good Luck!:)

Amanda Baggett aka Manda

Quilting for Me & all these new babies coming into the world! someone was twitter-pated

719-783-2241

mandasquiltingcorner@yahoo.com

56512AFA53EC16F01E5233ACC1B96E01.png

If you can put them in a bag or box, or closet with some charcoal briquets, they are supposed to absorb the odor.

Good luck,

Beth

Beth Durand

Elizabeth Originals Custom Quilting

www.eocquilting.com

beth@eocquilting.com

2006 APQS Millenium

Authorized APQS Dealer

Did you try leaving them hanging outside for a long period?

It worked for my ex boyfriend's odor that wouldn't quit my bed sheets. They hung outdoors for more than a month, but the smell finally left...

Thanks for the input.

I have tried spraying (more like saturating) febreeze onto garments inside a hanging, closed, plastic storage container. I've also tried the febreeze and then machine washing and drying...no significant odor change.

I am now trying a dish of baking soda inside the container.

I will try the outdoor airing and give it a couple of days...maybe that will work.

The charcoal brickquets sound like a great possibility...I'll try that too and let you know the results.

This perfume smell is also in a suitcase with an interior pocket containing a "Nina" perfume sampler. This very distinctive and extremely strong scent permeates everything!

Even if I liked the scent, I'd feel self-conscious that everyone around me would be gagging over how potent the odor is...almost like someone poured on half a bottle of perfume. It's a shame, but I don't feel comfortable donating these smelly items to someone else. The clothing odor, even after febreeze and laundering, remains similar to trying on a garment that reeks from a previous customer's perfume. :(

Bette Slag

Elk River, Mn

Betty,

My cousin worked in a car detail shop, said the way they took sever odors out of a car was to close it up with a bowl of vanilla in the car. To me that sounds like swapping one sweet odor for another in you case.....but if all else fails you could try it.

Mary Beth 

Powered by 2009 Freedom

Future winner of the Millie Sweepstakes

http://marysnutshell.blogspot.com/

I would definitely try the charcoal briquets in a confined space. I once rented a house that the previous tenants had monkeys and other pets living with them. I hung panty hose legs with a dozen briguets in 3 different places through out the house and replaced them every 2 or 3 days. I think it took a little over 2 weeks, but the smell was finally gone. Even my sister couldn't smell it any more. Good luck! It would be a shame to toss them if somebody else could get some use out of them.

Some great ideas shared, I have tried the charcoal, fabreeze, and airing out all with some success, also fresh not used coffee grounds in closets and drawers got out cigs/ and perfume smells in wood and clothes I bought at antique store to restore. my mom taught me because I'm very sensitive.

Bette, I've heard that you can put your food containers in the freezer to rid them of unwanted food odor, could it perhaps work for clothes? Be easy enough to try. Good luck, also perhaps a local dry cleaner might share with you.

Yvonne + Angie

Sisters\' Common Thread

Stacy, MN

\"Our Past Prime Past Time\"

Well... here are the results of the great perfume odor elimination suggestions:

1) baking soda didn't seem to make a difference

2) aired the clothes out under the roofed protection of our front porch...my DH made me remove the clothing after 1-1/2 weeks (he thought that the hanging clothes made the front of our house look like a perpetual mini garage sale... didn't enhance the neighborhood much) NO CHANGE in smell, but the front now looks better with the stuff gone

3) febreeze in a sealed container...honestly, there didn't seem to be any odor change

4) I didn't try charcoal, but that might have worked

5) Didn't try the freezer

6) Didn't try the vanilla...figured that it would have to be mighty potent to mask the perfume, so the clothing would still smell

7) Dreamscapes was right...exposed, unbrewed coffee grounds in a sealed container (for two weeks) seemed to neutralize (or absorb) the odor!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!:)

COFFEE GROUNDS WORKED!:D

Bette Slag

Elk River, Mn

there is a product called odors out, but it is spelled funny like odorzout - something like that, anyway it is at Home Depot and places like that. The Queen of Clean swears by this stuff getting any smell out even putting it in the washing machine in the wash water works. She worked for a fire restoration company and she says it gets smoke smell out too. good luck!

Renee Henderson

Covered Wagon Quilts

Gilbert, AZ

480-813-4503

Freedom SR 2007

I suspect that hanging them near a Pionair or their new refrigerator product (whatever they're calling it) would remove the odor. These put out ions and remove odors, either from the house or the refrigerator. We put a scentbag on top of the central heat and air filter that was supposed to last 3 weeks, and the odor was gone in less than two days. We forgot that the Pionair was supposed to remove odors.

9D30C2A24B50351B91A5D42C7BF73043.png

Guest Linda S

You can put an old sheet down on the grass and lay the clothes on top. The chlorphyll in the grass will help to absorb the smell.

Linda

Did you try vinegar in the washer? Also hanging clothes outside used to get rid of odors. Anyone here old enough to remember when we used to use moth balls for our winter clothes and then hange them outside to get rid of the odor when it was time to use them? I hated that smell.

Try washing the clothing with a detergent and lots of baking soda. I use up to two cups per load. I have never found it to damage anything. You might need to wash more then once. It works great for towels etc that have been left in the washer for a few days and get that bad smell. Good luck