george vs longarm

Hello everyone,

I went to Chicago this weekend and can't decide between a med. priced longarm and the George. At this point I plan to do my own quilts and maybe friends' quilts. I do have problems with bursitis in my shoulders. Which type of machine to you feel is easier on us golden oldies. I have been freemotion quilting with a Bernina 145 for the past 6 years.

Any pros or cons would be helpful

Thanks, Barb

Hi Barb,

I don't think this is going to be too helpful, but here's my 2 cents. The only thing I didn't care for about quilting on my DSM was having to pin baste on the floor with "assistance" from the dog. Now that I have my millie, I love the many more options I have for pattern design. I've done the golden threads paper, but find tearing it away to be tedious. With the laser, I can follow a design, but not have to mark the quilt top. I think with medical issues in your shoulders, a longarm would make a better choice. (I'm a music therapist, but I work at a hosp., so that must make me an expert on medical stuff, right?) I most assuredly recommend atn APQS machine, new or used. When I was Innovations in Sept. somone in my group pointed out that of all the machines being used in classrooms, the only ones that had not broken down during classes were the APQS machines.

Keep us posted as to what you decide.

Beth

Hi Barb,

After reading your message, and your reference to Bursitis and the Golden years and knowing that both methods of quilting can be physically straining I would seriously consider not buying any type of quilting system. The George or any of the stand up quilting systems.

Why? Both are physically demanding in different ways. Both are costly. Unless you are very bothered by not having the abiltity to complete the machine quilting on your own quilts ---why not consider just sending them out to be machine quilted? There are many wonderful quilters right here on this group that would do a beautiful job of completing the quilting on your projects, or perhaps a pro machine quilter in your own area.

This may not be what you want to hear--however, I feel some physical discomfort in my lower back, shoulders and legs after standing at the frame for any extended periods of time---and also I feel some shoulder, back and hand discomfort while sitting at my machine quilting. I take frequent breaks which helps a lot. Knowing these limitations are happening and are probably not going to get any better with time and age---I personally am choosing to not to invest in any more equipment or upgrades that is more expensive than what I presently own or use (an Ultimate II)---and I'm beginning to realize there will come a time that I will choose to send out many, or most of my larger projects to a professional quilter..... Stand up, or sit down push and shove machine quilting. Both are physically demanding any way you look at it. Just another point of view.

Well you could always purchase a mid price longarm with a compuquilter, from what I understand you won't be physically tired, or if you have problems with joint, back or muscle problems then this would be the solution for you.

It just depends on how much $ you want to spend.

Joann

Hi Barb,

I got my Liberty last October because I have back and neck problems and quilting my quilt tops on a DSM was becoming very painful. I love quilting on my Liberty and very rarely have any pain at all. In fact, I sit down to quilt most of the time and there are a lot of people on this forum that do this also.

Yes, there are many wonderful LA quilters on this forum and around my city that do great work. But I wanted to do my quilt tops myself. And I have a timer in my quilt room and when it goes off I take a break, to avoid being tired.

Please try out quilting on a Long arm. I think you will love it!!! I recently had some surgery and actually quilted with one hand/arm with my Liberty. I am to using both hands/arms now!!! My Liberty is so light weight compared to others I tried. Mind you, you are still using your hands/arms and shoulders to quilt, but I just found it so much easier than pushing a quilt around to quilt it.

Good luck!!

Hi Barb,

I developed similiar problems that you describe after quilting tops on my Bernina for 4-5 years. All the pain in my shoulders eventually left me but I am still coping with carpel tunnel, with I attribute directly to using the Bernina quilting those tops. I have tried other models that have a 2" extended arm, and found that even just those two extra inches did make a difference, even though I refused to believe it until I actually tried it. This solution might be an option for you if you are not a heavy quilter. But the tough part is just not knowing in advance whether it will be enough of a difference to help you feel better as you use it over the long term. Another thing to consider is whether you are totally committed to learning how to quilt successfully on a long arm with frame, since there is a learning curve, and it takes awhile to master free motion on a frame system. When I think about that factor, I realize that it is physically demanding moving a 35 pound machine across the quilt for several hours at a time. I found it very challenging at first, even though it is the lightest weight long arm on the market. You do have to develop muscles that get used a lot, have good posture while you work at it, and still take breaks etc. If you live near a dealer, instructor, or other owners, it will help you learn faster, and therefore, help you get the benefits you are looking for from your investment sooner. The George would allow you to keep quilting as you are now, without a new learning curve for your free motion work, because you are still passing the quilt through the machine rather than vice versa, and in my opinion, the first 'ergonomically correct' sit down quilting machine on the market. On the pro side, its cheaper than a frame option as well, and if you decide later that you want a frame, you can trade up through APQS.

Tough decision! Research is helpful, spending time reviewing messages on this forum over a few months will give you lots of insights, and any opportunity you might have to spend time on both will help you make a decision thats right for you. The one thing APQS hasn't been able to do so far is establish a dealer network across the US so everyone is within driving distance of a dealer who owns a model they can try before they buy. But I have heard from several dealers that they will try to put you in touch with a customer who lives near you, and if the two of you are able, you can meet and discuss or possibly even try using their model to gain some experience to help you make a decision. Some instructors fly to various locations around the country and possibly one might have an event coming up in your area where you can gain more experience with some of the APQS models.

Kathy

Hi Barb,

The problem with trying a machine is the time you can spend "trying it". Usually just trying a product for a short period of time won't let you get the true impact on your shoulder. You really need to focus on trying a machine for at least 30 mins. stints, or more to see how it will affect your shoulder, arms and back. Also, if the person who has the Ultimate does not have it set at the correct height for your use, then it would be almost impossible to get a true evaluation for your comfort level while you are using it.

I suggest 30 mins. with the stopping and rolling, bobbin changes, and keep quilting, and repeating the process of moving up and down the front of the frame. 30 min. works sessions with breaks between is about my limit before I start to feel the tightning in my shoulders and lower back. Then I stop, drink some water, change my music, sit down in my recliner---and then I'm back up again for another 30 mins. or more at the frame. I tried doing an 8 hour quilting job once just to see it went.

Frankly, I don't know how the professional quilters that do this all day for days at a time handle the very physical part of working at a frame for hours. I truly admire their stamina, and if I was about 30 yrs. younger it would be O.K. as a "job", but certainly would not pursue it at the age I am now.

I love machine quilting, I'm not overweight and live an active life style. I do have some lower back problems from an accident roller skating in my 30's that has come back to haunt me. Any extended time spent at the frame can take it's toll on my back the next day.

I don't want to discourage you, but I'm a realist, and if I had ongoing bursitis---I would evaluate purchasing an type of quilting machine considering the possibilites that it may only make the condition worse.

Have you spoken with your physical therapist or physician about any of this? Had your range of motion evaluated? This could help determining if you should make a purchase of George or a stand up system.

After much thought and saving my pennies, I decided to invite George to my home. He has an honored place in my guest room (who has time for guests?) He arrived just yesterday, was easy to set up-or at least that's what hubby says, and I finally had time this evening to play with him.

I have to say that I was part owner in a traditional longarm at a friend's home. It was difficult to find a whole day to work on a project (I felt since it was at her house that I had to finish a quilt in one day so I wouldn't be preventing her from using it) and I found that my back just couldn't take standing the whole time. Then one day I was watching Fons and Porter and saw Ricky Tims demonstrating The George and I was in love! Hubby saw it and said "That's what you need!" Of course, I think he believed he could get a new toy if I got George. I checked out the forums on this site and found nothing but good remarks about George, so I finally decided to take the plunge.

Now, back to my playing time this evening. I couldn't believe how easy it is use. I had much better control than when I would quilt on my domestic sewing machine and the stitching is great. It only took a little tension adjustment. I never did get good at the longarm because I just didn't have the time to practice that much. Now I can practice a little almost every day, but I don't think it will really take that much practice. I'm going to a quilt retreat this weekend-it's the first time that I would rather stay at home so I could play with my new best friend, George.

When I get home, I have about 15-20 quilt tops just waiting for inspiration. So, if there is anyone out there thinking about George, and just not sure about it, I give a big "thumbs up!"

Sherry and Linda, I'm the one who contacted you both about buying George-I finally went through APQS and they were absolutely great to work with! Good customer service.

Luv2quilt,

Congrats on the new "guy" in your life! I played with George when I was at the Quilt Festival in Houston last fall. You are right, he is a smooth mover and I fell in love with him, too!

Glad to hear that he found a cozy spot in your guest bedroom.... When I read your post above, I couldn't help but imagine your husband telling your friends, neighbors and family "Now that George has moved in, she spends more time with George in the guest bedroom than she does with me!" :P;)

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, have mega health problems, but had wanted a LA for 20 years...and

am glad I went ahead with the purchase. We tried every brand on the market and found what we felt was the lightest, free-est moving...how do

I cope with the aches and pains? As long as you are doing for yourself and

an occassion outside quilt, who says that you have to make a marathon out of it? I usually do about 3 "passes" and then go back to piecing or

sewing something else...So it takes me a week to quilt one? It is still MINE

and I am proud of the project. If you decided to take on a quilting business like some of these gals and turn them out in a hurry....I think it would be an unwise decision. But like I say...we've got all the time in the

world and a week to do the quilting isn't bad..Sometimes I get enthused and with the "flow" and I get carried away and really sail along...and funny

thing is...it doesn't hurt as much when I'm enjoying myself. I certainly don't

want to just sit in a chair and "FREEZE" up into an old prune like so many

elderly do. Like I said...I'll be 72 years old when mine is paid for..and I hope to have a couple hundred quilts out of the way by then...It's just

me and MILLIE ROSE growing old together...Get your machine and ENJOY!

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I enjoyed reading posts about George so I have to add mine.

I purchased George in March of this year. When I first got my machine I quilted day and night 'til I hurt my hip and shoulder. Now I am taking more breaks.

I am over 70 years of age and I think George is one of the nicest quilting machines I have used.

Emily

• 1 month later...

Hello I am new to this chat site and am also considering a George for many of the physical reasons, price and also because of my limited space. I was wondering though, do you think there are many used "Georges" out there? I would like to investigate that also. Do you kow of any sites that advertise used "Georges? Thank you. And also you all have such great insight to quilting and machines.

I have been quilting for 4+ years and I too have done alot on my Bernina 145, but I need to "spread" out.

Thands for all your suggestions.:)

Archived