Quilting Around Embroidery Lettering

I am working on a quilt with embroidered lettering.  The quilting is primarily feathers.  I am not sure how to quilt around the embroidering, so I do not distort it.  I already have to work some fullness into my quilting as it is.

Could you lovely quilters share your secrets with me how to best quilt around the lettering?  I was thinking teardrop meander, but am not sure.   I will share pictures of the entire quilt when I am done with it.  I need to have it done by Friday for the my daughter's roommates graduation on Saturday.

post-65706-0-91353800-1449542732_thumb.jpg

Thank you in advance for the inputs.

Cagey

since you are doing this on George you can do a couple different options, the tear drops are one way on the outside of the embroidered saying/verse.  Another option is to do a water/wind back and forth movement all around the outside and as you move around the block you can take a line through the space of the verse lines or an in and out line in those spaces.  Then the letters themselves are not distorted but the center area of the block is held down as well.  I have done this on some quilts.

So I understand what you are describing.  Start at the top with a wavy line from left to right.  Then mirror that line from top to bottom at a spacing of my choice.  Work the line of waves through the blank space between the lettering.  

You are not saying doing any stitching vertically through the lettering, correct?

Cagey

Isolate the lettering by enclosing them with stitching. You can use straight lines or curving "cloud" lines to enclose the quote.The outside margin of the entire quote can be stitched with a perimeter double line and the other lines with a single line horizontally between them. You won't need to stitch between each word. This enclosure will make the quote prominent and give you a boundary for stitching your background filler. The stitching in the interior will anchor the space to keep the area from puffing out or sagging if it's hung.

No  lines going vertical unless it is a few stitches making a loop to go back again.  When I have done them I don't take the lines from sashing to sashing but do random lengths going side to side on one side from top to bottom, some longer some shorter and when I get to the bottom I can make them longer and start going up on the on the remaining side and have those lengths fit in the open spaces of the other side so none of it is in columns easily seen.  I will try the Ipad and see if I can post a picture/drawing.

Archived