I wondered if I might ask you a couple of questions about marketing my quilting business? I want to do a free or inexpensive website but I'm overwhelmed at the thought of that. I have a business Facebook page but not sure if I'm utilizing it well. What are some marketing/ social media ideas for my business that would be free or low cost? I am not able to go all out and work full time quilting but I want to attract local quilters as much as possible. Thanks so much!

Denise Cornett

Southern Quilts

APQS Millie and Intelliquilter

Denise - good question. I use blogspot (google) which is free, and have a $10 per/year domain name (no website), that just reroutes visitors to my blog. I have several tabs in the blog that share more static information. 'Course, I need to update those pages. I just post a blog about what's going on in the studio every couple of weeks. (www.quiltniques.com).  I "share" my post on my own timeline and in the guild's facebook page: Appalachian Heritage Quilters. My most productive marketing is just being active in a couple of guilds, and showing my own quilts or a customer quilt during show & tell. I mention that "I finished quilting this last week..." or something like that. And members come and ask if I quilt for others.  Another good marketing tool is teaching learn to quilt or piecing techniques, or projects at your local quilt store. Just ask if they would like to have a class on a technique you are good at. Of course I have business cards. I also had a table at a very small women's marketplace in November. I met a lot of wonderful quilters, and just got my name out there.

Cindy Roth has been a great resource for me. (www.longarmuniversity.com) She welcomes emails and phone calls.

Sharon

It might not seem logical, but a blog or FB business page works only when you have followers---and your followers are your customers. So building a customer base is serious business and takes "boots on the ground"--joining the local guilds (and doing charity quilting to show you're there for other reasons besides looking for customers), making friends at the local quilt shops (again by making purchases and offering to quilt a sample or two), and establishing yourself with good work and professionalism. It's like the conundrum of newly-graduated job-seekers--no one will hire them because they don't have experience and yet they can't get experience without being hired.

Having a FB page is great as long as people visit and share it. It can also direct them to a website or blog, where you can go into policies and pricing in more depth, and offer examples of your work. But nobody will find it without someone to show them it's there--and that would be your happy customers. As for keeping customers interested, post on FB to link to your website for give-aways, contests, and free instructions or patterns. Posting often also keeps people interested. You'll have to decide if the time invested in keeping the excitement going is worth it in new business. When you get to the point where you have all the business you can handle, you may decide it takes too much time that could be better spent quilting for $$ or with your family. It's a juggling act for sure, but interesting and sometimes a lot of fun.  :P

Linda Rech

Finely Finished Quilts

Millennium on Bliss rails--hand-guided

http://www.topperquilttools.com

Look at weebly.com. its easy to use, lots of choices of themes, colors, customizations, etc. great customer service day or night and it's economical. I don't spend a lot of time on it, but it does the job for me.

Blessed, Blissed and Gliding with Millie and QP!

www.NoThimbles.com