In the early 90's my mom wanted a blue and yellow quilt. So I started to collect as many fabrics as I could. In 1996 I finished her quilt and gave it to her for her birthday that year. I quilted it very simple using nylon thread. I loved it so much I took the left over fabric to make me a quilt too. I started that year and almost finished but put it away. This year (2015) I pulled it out and added the borders and the week of Christmas I put it on Frannie Ann and finished it. We have had nasty weather and I haven't been able to block it. I used Metro 2003 green thread and blue Floraini quilting thread blue. My Creative Stitches Spring Sunrise designs (with Quilt Path) and my Quiltazoid to do the quarter inch piano keys to fill in. he plate blades are freehand. I used Fil-Tech bobbins. Yes that is corded binding. Thanks for looking.

I'll have to find the pattern for the border.

The Quilt

24215378465_ddafd4158b_z.jpg20160106_140749 by Dell Dunman, on Flickr

The border

23847560799_fd4ec29894_z.jpg20160106_140806 by Dell Dunman, on Flickr

The Border Corner

23588586003_97d5978b17_z.jpg20160106_140852 by Dell Dunman, on Flickr

The front

23709849679_64fe13d973_z.jpg20151230_233127 by Dell Dunman, on Flickr

The Back

23995046121_433c54c0b8_z.jpg20151230_233043 by Dell Dunman, on Flickr

The Dresden plate pattern was the first quilt I started and had no clue what I was doing. :P I started it in 1980 and finishised it in 2005. I used so many wrong fabrics that are wearing away, and part of the quilt is shredding. I lrearned a lot on that quilt.

Your quilt is beautiful and I love the quilting!

Deb.

I have been studying your border feathers.  Can you share with us how wide the border is, and about how wide your individual feathers are?  I am trying to draw them out on paper, along with the piano keys.  I am trying to get a feel for the size needed to emulate your quilting.  Finally, did you draw out the spine, and then fill in the leaves as you came to them, or did you draw out the entire design before actually quilting it?  Emulators want to know.

Cagey

I have been studying your border feathers.  Can you share with us how wide the border is, and about how wide your individual feathers are?  I am trying to draw them out on paper, along with the piano keys.  I am trying to get a feel for the size needed to emulate your quilting.  Finally, did you draw out the spine, and then fill in the leaves as you came to them, or did you draw out the entire design before actually quilting it?  Emulators want to know.

Cagey

Hi Cagey. The quilt is 90 by 102 inches. The border is 10 inches wide. The pattern for the border feathers is Judy's feathers. Here is the site

I have a Quilt Path and used it for the feathers border and then used my quiltazoid to fill in with the quarter inch piano keys. http://www.digitechpatterns.com/product_p/japanto21bnc.htm

I used Spring Sunrise set by Christy Dillion of My Creative Stitches to quilt with my QP the sashings, the corner stones. the triangles, the center of the plates and the corners of the plate blocks. The plate blades were freehand..  Hope this answers all you questions.