I am the proud owner of......

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sure hope you don't do your back in.  I'm still in agony with my sciatic nerve, it will be 2 weeks on Monday!  Got a call from the dr and now I have to see a pain management dr because of the back problems shown in the MRI.  I have 3 herniated or bulging disks, arthritis and narrowing of the canals which I'm sure is what it causing the problem with the sciatic nerve.  Sounds like shots are in my future.  I just want it to stop hurting.  I can live with the 1 -2 level of pain but when it hits 8 & 9 I just can't handle it.  If I stand for more than 15 - 20 min, sometimes a little longer sometimes less, it starts to hurt.  Gotta figure out a way to sit in my saddle stool and keep my leg at the right angle that it doesn't hurt.  

Yes, I am trying to protect my back and not get crazy. I have disc degeneration at L5-S1, so the pain goes down my left leg to about my knee then wraps around my leg to the inner side, to my arch. It is weird but my legs feel heavy. I think I have something else going on too, but the blood work starts a week from this Wednesday, so that is another story. Anyway, I have had the injections at pain management. Sometimes they work, sometimes, not so much. The first time I had one, he hit the spot exactly. I felt pressure right along the line of pain all the way down my leg. I was amazed. Once the pressure stopped, I felt pretty good, but it wore off. I can go for a series of 3 and no more than 3 rounds of 3 a year. But here is the good news for me. I have been going to a chiropractor, and last week I went for a massage at the place next door to him. The girl that gave the massage found a couple of muscles that felt like a football to me. A huge knot. She started working on a spot and she just stayed with it a while. I feel so much better right now. I am going to keep going to her for a while and see how I do. It is so much better than surgery. I have been there and it didn't work. 

It is weird but my legs feel heavy. 

Mary Beth,

Varicose veins can cause your legs to feel heavy.  You can have them without them being visible as I found out a few years ago!

They have tested the blood pressure in my legs, so I think that is what they were testing for, but I may be wrong.

Yes, I am trying to protect my back and not get crazy. I have disc degeneration at L5-S1, so the pain goes down my left leg to about my knee then wraps around my leg to the inner side, to my arch. It is weird but my legs feel heavy. I think I have something else going on too, but the blood work starts a week from this Wednesday, so that is another story. Anyway, I have had the injections at pain management. Sometimes they work, sometimes, not so much. The first time I had one, he hit the spot exactly. I felt pressure right along the line of pain all the way down my leg. I was amazed. Once the pressure stopped, I felt pretty good, but it wore off. I can go for a series of 3 and no more than 3 rounds of 3 a year. But here is the good news for me. I have been going to a chiropractor, and last week I went for a massage at the place next door to him. The girl that gave the massage found a couple of muscles that felt like a football to me. A huge knot. She started working on a spot and she just stayed with it a while. I feel so much better right now. I am going to keep going to her for a while and see how I do. It is so much better than surgery. I have been there and it didn't work. 

I understand about the "heavy" feeling, I've had that several times.  my pain starts in my butt, literally, and runs down my right leg and wraps around to the top of my calf, sometimes all the way past the ankle.  I had tinkling only one day.  The pain has been horrible in the am the last 3 days.  You're right anything but surgery is so much better!  I have a friend who does massage therapy so I may have to give that a go.  I'm not a fan of massages.  I did the chiropractor once but put it on hold until after the MRI because I was terrified of doing more damage.  Since I just had knee surgery I have to be careful with that right knee as well.  I have had sciatic pain before but never at this level or this long.  Tomorrow is 2 weeks.  

Boy!  Can I sympathize with you bad back ladies.  I've dealt with this since 1980, when the first ruptured disk happened.

heat and/or cold packs will help.  hard to sit on an ice pack though.  rofl, thinking ice cubes there.

Try to Not do anything that aggravates it as it just delays the healing and weakens the spot making more trouble easier to happen.

I find if I try heat and it doesn't help, then I go to ice.  sometimes I have to do one, then the other immediately.  Y'all have to try things out to find the one that works for you.

I often use "ThermaCare" heat acks.  The instant ice isn't nearly as good as heat, and costs a small fortune, so we have a couple small phys. therapy ice packs that have a

blue fabric cover.

Good luck, and do what has to be done.

I'd have welcomed surgery many many years ago had I known it was available.

Mary Beth - so happy for you and your "new-to-you" Freedom.  I always admired your work and can't wait to see your future endeavors!  

Oh, thank you so much. I appreciate your kind words more than you know. I think I was always too close to my work, so I could see all the flaws. I am older now, and am going to try to step back and enjoy the workmanship, and not critic it  :)

Why are you jealous?

Mary Beth

Not really jealous.  Maybe a bit envious.  LOL.  I should be ashamed because I have a great midarm machine that works great and gives me few problems....BUT...I would love to own a Millie or Lucey.  You know men....never satisfied.  haha

I'm really happy for you though because I know you've been wanting one for a while now.  We need pictures when you get it.

David

Mary Beth

Not really jealous.  Maybe a bit envious.  LOL.  I should be ashamed because I have a great midarm machine that works great and gives me few problems....BUT...I would love to own a Millie or Lucey.  You know men....never satisfied.  haha

I'm really happy for you though because I know you've been wanting one for a while now.  We need pictures when you get it.

David

David, I am getting a Freedom, so not a Millie, just almost a Millie  :D  And not a Lucey....so we are good  ;)  I am already planning my furture when I put a computer on my Freedom and buy a Millie for my custom work...so we are never satisfied either  :D

Yeaaaaaaaa!  7 years wow, time is but a twinkle in our eyes.  Can't wait to see your eye candy again.  Welcome back!

Thank you. We are working out the details on picking up the machine. I have cleaned out that corner of the basement, but now I cannot walk through the rest of the basement. A 7 year accumulation, lol. 

Mary Beth

So wonderful for you.  I know you have really missed your long arming.  If after being away for 7 years you are still wanting to quilt that is fabulous!!

I have had my Lenni for 7 years and just can't imagine being without it.  I don't quilt for public just myself and charity, but I would be so lost without it. 

good to have you back in the forum.

Mary Beth:  I'm so happy for you.  My husband and I are retiring the end of March and looking forward to moving closer to KC to be nearer the granddaughter.  Maybe once you are up and going we could get together for a "sew day".  I would love to pick your brain!  We "Mary Beth's" and our Freedom(s) need to stick together.  and we could invite Sheri, too!  

Mary Beth:  I'm so happy for you.  My husband and I are retiring the end of March and looking forward to moving closer to KC to be nearer the granddaughter.  Maybe once you are up and going we could get together for a "sew day".  I would love to pick your brain!  We "Mary Beth's" and our Freedom(s) need to stick together.  and we could invite Sheri, too!  

Oh, that would be fun. Yes, Sheri too, and anyone else that wants to come. I have friend who is waiting for her Innova, (I am trying not to be too hard on her, lol), but I thought I would plan some days with her, so we can all just have a party. Where are you moving to? I live on the north side of Kansas City, between Liberty and the airport. 

• 5 weeks later...

Archived