Schmetz needles

At a guild presentation Sharon Schamber recommended Schmetz needles for the longarm, available on her website or her daughters.  I bought them to give them a try.  I'm using the first one but I have to say so far I LOVE them!  I have the best tension I've ever had and didn't have to tweak.  I'll keep you posted but if they continue like this this will be my go to needle for sure!  I've been using the MMR, I think that is right yellow package, since I got my milli in 2008.  

Marilyn I'm always happy to share what I find that works and this is a new to me product that I'm super excited about!  I'm just amazed how good my tension looks.  

Thanks for asking about Maddie.  It has been a tough month or so now, which is how long it has been since I've seen her.  Her father has a new job now and he works a normal M - F so I don't have to get her after school or weekends.  That is good and sad.  It is really good that I don't have to add the 3 hour commute and really good for her that she can have a more normal schedule.  The bad part is that I don't get to see her.  Her father and I had some major words just before Christmas.  While he does his best to mange her diabetes and at least checks her blood sugars regularly her mother does not and he doesn't take a proactive step to do anything about it.  I feel like when she isn't in his care it is out of sight out of mind.  Her mother has screwed up royally every weekend she has had her for months and he won't take her back to court.  I feel like he should go to court and stop the overnight visitations until her mother gets the right training.  Her mother only attended one of the training sessions, only because I drove the 5 hour round trip to make it happen and then never came again.  I made sure she had the manuals, printed them, tabbed the important pages and highlighted everything but that doesn't mean she uses them.  Last weekend for example it looks like she didn't check her for 12 hours and she went down to 40!  That is scary low.  My hands are completely tied.  I've called the nurses to pass on my concerns to the dr and all they can tell me is to call CPS.  Since her mother is in a completely different county and only gets her every other weekend it is even more complicated.  The whole situation just makes me sick.  If something bad happens then I can take steps but until then there is nothing more I can do.  I've also enlisted other family members to try to get my BIL to be more proactive.  

Anonymous child neglect report on the mom sounds like a good idea to me.  A teacher or school nurse might ask questions, and get things straightened out.  By law they have to report neglect and child abuse.  Which I would consider this to be.

Cagey

Cagey I have been through this no less then 10 times since she was 2!  They come, investigate, last time her sister who is now 15 had severe scoliosis that hadn't been cared for.  She ended up with back surgery and was in the hospital for 2 weeks and CPS did nothing more.  Her sister is also legally deaf and has gone the entire year without hearing aids and the school does nothing.  The mother moves from place to place and that makes it even tougher, although she has been in this house now almost 2 years.  I have no faith that CPS would do anything before it happens.  I bought a device for $200 that connects her pump readings to online and if it is connected we can see her numbers and it updates every 5 minutes.  It also sends text alerts for lows.  The problem is now her mother isn't connecting it, no idea what the excuse is now.  That was what BIL and I had the argument over.  He just said the device was causing too much stress and that perhaps I thrived on it.  Now I have to sit back and wait for the worst to happen and when it does I'll hire a lawyer and seek guardianship or full custody.  

Heidi:

I can understand.  I had to deal with the state when my sister died, and we took in her daughter who was 14.  My sister's ex, had not seen his daughter since she was 5 or 6.  We came to an agreement with child support and medical payments, which he promptly broke.  I go the run around for a number of months, until I contacted the governors office and threatened to hang out visiting every office possible until I found someone that could assist me.  A few days of phone calls, I finally was connected to someone that could actually help me.  It took awhile, but the state took the father to court, and recover almost $25,000 for her.  Which helped greatly to send her to pharmacy school after graduating high school.  

You might do some research on how your state failed to protect children, and they either passed away or were killed by their parents.  Point out these prior failures, and then build your case.  You will probably have to spend days on the phone, but with God's help you will find the proper office to open the door you need.  Unfortunately your BIL's actions are not helping you solve the problem.  He needs to stop thinking about himself, and do what is right for the children.  He needs to remember what FAMILY stands for.... Forget About Me, I love You!!!   It is about taking care of your spouse and your children before oneself.  

I will keep you in my prayers that things work out for you and Maddie.

Cagey

Thanks Heidi for the info.  I'm going to check them out.   Has Dawn tried these yet?  I seem to remember a few years ago Superior and a few others were selling Groz-Beckert needles that our timing didn't like?  The were short or something.  Does anyone remember, have they fixed the problem?

Thanks Heidi for the info.  I'm going to check them out.   Has Dawn tried these yet?  I seem to remember a few years ago Superior and a few others were selling Groz-Beckert needles that our timing didn't like?  The were short or something.  Does anyone remember, have they fixed the problem?

Connie I don't know if Dawn has tested these.  I didn't have to re-time anything with these needles.  I tested first by hand rotating and then stitched.  So far so good. I got the Groz-Beckert and didn't like them as well so never switched.  I had a big 100 pack of the MR needles.

so what is the difference in these.  What makes you get better tension?  I have been using the MR needles for 11 yrs and have not had much tension trouble, so curious how these are different or better?  please explain.

Patty I'm using bottom line and sofine on top.  Normally I have to really tweak the tension just right not to get the bottom line to flat line on me.  I didn't change a thing except the needle and have no tweaking at all.  It stays good in all directions.  Maybe the needle flex is less.  The hump is definitely not as pronounced.  The needles also say the shaft is different.  the thread channel is deeper.  Here is the link from Schmetz on the differences.  http://www.schmetzneedles.com/category/Long-Arm-Needles-27

Heidi:  Exactly which needle do you have?  There appears to be several different needles offered in link you provided.  The site also says the MR needles have been discontinued.  Thanks for the help.  Jim

Jim,

Yes MR are discontinued although you can get them on EBay still.  I had a good stock.  This is what is on the package I have: Schmetz Canu:20:05 1

NM: 80 size:12

134 ®

135x5

SY1955

DPx5

I believe this was a topic when I was quilting. It seems like Dawn had said something about it. I wish she would pop in here with her 2 cents worth....but really Dawn, you opinion is worth much more than 2 cents. 

Jim,  If you bring up the site (Schmetz) Heidi recommended, they list the one for the APQS machines.    They list 3 different needles and the  last needle listed  says used on several machines and APQS is one of those listed.machines.

Am going to order that last needle and hope it is the right one.

Thanks again to Heidi.

Marilyn 

Jim,  If you bring up the site (Schmetz) Heidi recommended, they list the one for the APQS machines.    They list 3 different needles and the  last needle listed  says used on several machines and APQS is one of those listed.machines.

Am going to order that last needle and hope it is the right one.

Thanks again to Heidi.

Marilyn 

Marilyn I got my size 12 from Sharon's site, it seems the Schmetz site doesn't seem to have those.  I really think these work so well because controlled flex.  I'm really loving them!

Archived