The Leisure Club

Hello to my fellow Birthday Blockers! Just checking in with you all. I have been consistently receiving blocks but inconsistently sending them! We should have named this project, "At my Leisure Birthday Block Exchange"! Well I knew this about myself when it was started. It was desired to keep it simple and not to strict. Good thing. I've just been to busy to get any done. I will have time this summer and plan on attacking them then. If you haven't received a block from me yet, you will! How are the rest of you doing? I've been kind of out of touch lately; is this all going well?

Hi Cheryl.

I've received about 12 blocks now and like you, I've been too busy to spend much time sending blocks out. I did a big chunk of them the first of March, but I've been to busy since then to do any more blocks. I usually have a 2-3 week lull with customer quilts during the summer, so I'm hoping to get quite a few done during that time.

The blocks I've received are fabulous. I asked for purple and green blocks and they go together so well!!

Debbi

I used Vicki's list and have finished all as of Sunday night. That is with the exception of two that are noted to only want to exchange with their b'day month. The last 12 were mailed yesterday.... I hope they've all made it to their destinations... It was fun, but very glad I'm done (or almost if the other two want to exchange.) Now to straighten up my sewing room.

ever heard that phrase. Well, it is SOOOOO true. Donovan and I made plans for the entire day today. woke up this morning and had 4 inches of snow, then 1 foot of snow about an hour later then a phone call from our daughter the bus was stuck-in a ditch, in the snow and school was cancelled-and another foot of snow. ARGH!

so my long arm machine didn't get moved today and the old shop didn't cleaned today-not that i had much to do anywho OH YEAH did i mention that we have been without power off and on most of the day. i just want to go back to bed and start over.

Kathy Pettengill has bowed out of the group. If anyone else would like their name removed, please contact me at dancingstitcher@mac.com. It's a big commitment to participate in the Birthday Block exchange and I'm sure that realizing your limitations is a good thing. This is a wonderful program that is inspiring many of us. I have learned to do a lot of new blocks and have worked with some new fabric styles. Getting to know some of you through emails has expanded my quilting experience.

Be sure to send a little email note to your angel who sent you a block. Then put her at the top of your list for making a block and not wait until her birthday. By doing this you will be able to stop part way through the list and not have the commitment to complete all 67 numbers minus 4 names, or 63 blocks. Half or less quantity would make a beautiful quilt or wall hanging. This procedure will also help those people in the second half of the year fulfill commitments for making blocks to those who sent them. Imagine the stress of a person in November or December getting a huge quantity of blocks in those months and then wondering how they could possibly reciprocate before the end of the year!

Similarly those people in the first half of the year may not receive all their blocks until the end of the year. So don't finish your quilt only with the blocks you have to date. You will get more! There are several people who are doing their blocks in random order.

Then there are the busy bees like Carol Hillary and Lorrie Houle who are all finished! Norece is half done and several other people I'm sure are nearing that mark too. I'm pacing myself and am on No. 24 with fabrics washed for another batch (through April is a third of the year or 21 blocks). Are most of us generally near the 21 block mark? That's only 1.25 blocks per week. Sounds simple when you break it down. If you are behind, then you will need to do 2.5 blocks per week to get back on track. That also sounds possible.

As experienced quilters we can do this in our sleep. Right? Good luck and may your fingers be nimble and your spirits high. Happy quilting.

Vicki

Barbara - Look down the numbers and you will see three of them missing as I didn't renumber next to people's names so that we always had the same number. The people I removed had made an initial request to be on the list and then failed to complete the information to register. Kathy is the only person who has had personal reasons that make this endeavor difficult to proceed. I'll send you an update now. There is another person who didn't give me her birthdate or block preferences, so perhaps we should exclude her too. Overall, I think this is going rather well.

Vicki

I am so far behind in saying THANK YOU for the Birthday Blocks I have received so I am listing everyone now and saying a BIG Thank You to all:

Lorrie Houle, Carol Hillary, Sara Crocker, April Wright, and Jeanne Rumans. Thank you again......they are wonderful!!

Renae

it just January? Time flies! We'll get 'em done girls, no reason to fret. I'm certainly in no hurry to receive. Who knows when I'll even get to put mine together. I still haven't finished my baby boy's quilt that memorial day weekend will have been two years since I started! URGH!

Cheryl - Thats o.k. - I am SO behind as well! I have tried to always email

people when I received them at least - the last 2 weeks were extra nuts!

I just finished up with our quilt show for our local guild, except now I

found out I get to go and buy prizes for the "veiwers choice" awards...

Shopping!! and I don't have to pay for it... they still have not given me a

budget as of yet....... This is my priority this weekend after my daughters

"invention fair" today - I will get going and finish-up those that I have in

pieces already..... Vicki - your block is still here - sorry!

Oh Dear.....

I have been so busy with life, I haven't started any blocks. I go through the lst which is taped on the wall above my DSM periodically and say" oka, these I am going to do this weekend", but I still haven't done any. And yes....It was January just yesterday. I can't believe May is just around the corner. In my little space of the world, all the snow is gone and the days are warming and my perennials are pokeing their shoots out of the ground and this weekend is yard cleaning time. Out growing season is so short and the rain will be coming soon, s I gotta get this done.

I also spend all my available time with my Freedom, learning and learning and loving it. Only had 1 customer quilt so far and both of us were tickled pink with the results.

I have to built my webpage, and make my posters and all that stuff you need to attract customers. So....these are my excuses, valid or not. I am going to make a block for everyone on my list and hope to have them out by the end of the year. I am also very exctited about the prospect of perhaps receiving some. I think this is neat...kinda like christmas, anticipation....

So Ladies, have a great day, gotta get at that yard so I can quilt;)

• 2 months later...

Hey Vicki,

I am about to work on Julys

I have 5 names

cheryl, sue, amanda, april, and carol

is that correct? are there more (I am missing about 5 names from my list so each month I figure you can help me get my list right:)

thanks your great hostess

Archived