Needle Help

Hello, I need some help regard what needle I should use.......

I am fixing, NOT restoring a Crazy Quilt that was my husband's Great Grandmothers.  Some parts of it are in very good shape, and others, not so much.  I have been mending whatever rips I find.  Parts of the quilt I think had newspaper stuffed in them.  The cotton stabilizer has hundreds of rips in it, and I am planning on using a cotton batting, and a cotton backing for it.

This is where my questions comes in.  I am going to gently re-quilt it on my Millie longarm.  Some of the thickness in this quilt will end up being 5, maybe six layers deep.  I am afraid of breaking needles, or bending needles.....etc.

What type, size, needle should I use?   Titanium????  What about top and bottom thread?  I am thinking that I need a needle that is super strong.  Or, should I be using a very slim needle so that it goes through all of the fabric, etc??????

I will appreciate any and all thoughts on this.

Thank you

Janice in Ely, MN

Janice

My thought would be to use a 4.0 or larger needle.  The thinner ones are less stiff and break easier.  You will get an argument from some but I don't think there is a difference in strength between chrome and titanium coated needles, the coating is so thin.  Most of my needle breakage over the years has been from the needle flexing and hitting the hook or needle plate.  Larger needles, shorter stitches and keep the speed up a bit to get through the thick sections will help with the flex.

Nigel

I keep thinking someone brighter than me will answer this for you. The paper stuffed behind the pieces is not really stuffed in there, but the paper was actually a foundation, like in string piecing. The news paper was a solid foundation that the pieces were sewn to, to build the quilt. quilt is I would think the 4.0 needle would be strong enough. The thing that worries me is this is probably quite fragile, and most of them were not quilted. I would be afraid to try it. If you take you time and are very careful you should not have a needle break. I agree that most needles break from flexing when hitting something they should not. Remember, these machines are industrial strength. Five layers of fabric are not going to stop it. 

Archived