Your Favorite Piece of Equipment in your Studio

Toss up between

my ironing station (too big to call an ironing board, tiss 111" long), which has a cutting board stored in a little gap under the pressing surface...24284994905_d0aa755df7.jpgRoseCity Quilter New Studio by -RoseCity Quilter-

Or

My ruler towers, made by a friend...23656745594_956710b541.jpgRoseCity Quilter New Studio by -RoseCity Quilter-

Or my slot wall....24259080386_873473c070.jpgRoseCity Quilter New Studio by -RoseCity Quilter-

Ugh! I can't like any posts anymore, because I have "liked" too many. I wish someone could loan me some like  :rolleyes:

Someone posted this on a Facebook page. I thought I would make a great place to attach my ironing board and good storage. 

post-391-0-70575500-1453595827_thumb.jpg

You would just leave those pegs out of the top. I have a wide board that fits over my ironing board, and it makes it top heavy. I thought this would be a good option. 

If you want to save floor space, do an internet search for "tiny house flip down table", you will be surprised by all the interesting space saving storage/table ideas you may find.

http://tinyhousegear.com/wall-mounted-folding-table/

http://www.houzz.com/photos/2132664/Baer-Retreat-contemporary-kitchen-los-angeles

Just some possibilities for you to consider.  Have fun designing.

Cagey

My employer remodeled all the offices and conference rooms this past year. They brought all these beautiful cherry finished desks and cabinets; they ended up purchasing too many desks and wall cabinets. They gave me two of the new desks and four of the new wall cabinets; one of the desks is a straight six foot desk and the other is a half circle desk with an extension on the one side. The straight desk I use as a cutting station and the other works great for a sewing station (ironing on one side and fabric pieces on the other). Currently I am repainting my quilting studio an olive green and re-staining the wood work to a cherry finish, once completed I will post pictures. 

My employer remodeled all the offices and conference rooms this past year. They brought all these beautiful cherry finished desks and cabinets; they ended up purchasing too many desks and wall cabinets. They gave me two of the new desks and four of the new wall cabinets; one of the desks is a straight six foot desk and the other is a half circle desk with an extension on the one side. The straight desk I use as a cutting station and the other works great for a sewing station (ironing on one side and fabric pieces on the other). Currently I am repainting my quilting studio an olive green and re-staining the wood work to a cherry finish, once completed I will post pictures. 

You hit the jackpot!! That sounds awesome. 

I have the entire basement for my studio. But there is a big bar, and the stairs, and furnace are kind of off set in the middle. 

I am in the middle of getting it together, but I will take a few pictures to show you what I have to work with. It is going back together like I had it before, but I got rid of just about everything I had before. 

My favorite is my little storage cabinet that fits right under my machine.  The top has little cubicles that I can put all my tools in and have easy access to.  I keep my oil, screw drivers, small rulers, etc. in there.  The side I have a roll of paper towels on and in the draws I can keep all the other things I need.  I have too many rulers to all fit in this and would like to come up with better storage for that.  I'm thinking the ikea cabinet would be much better for those.  I'd like to have one for rulers, stencils and things like that.   I have a CD cabinet for all my thread and that works out great. http://www.michaels.com/10109501.html#start=10 

My favorite thing is the gorgeous cabinet Lisa C's awesome hubby made for me. It is not only a beautiful piece of furniture, it holds a ton of stuff! I have all my Studio dies in the middle as well as lots of miscellaneous supplies stashed in it. I use it primarily for a cutting station, as it is countertop height. I also use it for blocking knitting projects and many other things.

post-1093-0-58753400-1453649269_thumb.jpeg

I do have a couple of IKEA basket units for my thread and longarm supplies I use all the time. I had a bunch of them for storage but I found when I put the wheels on them, they were too tall to fit comfortably under the longarm. So I kept two and put them in front. Seems to work, but now I have a bunch of unused wire basket units sitting in the garage!

post-1093-0-04731500-1453649284_thumb.jpeg

My favorite thing is the gorgeous cabinet Lisa C's awesome hubby made for me. It is not only a beautiful piece of furniture, it holds a ton of stuff! I have all my Studio dies in the middle as well as lots of miscellaneous supplies stashed in it. I use it primarily for a cutting station, as it is countertop height. I also use it for blocking knitting projects and many other things.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I do have a couple of IKEA basket units for my thread and longarm supplies I use all the time. I had a bunch of them for storage but I found when I put the wheels on them, they were too tall to fit comfortably under the longarm. So I kept two and put them in front. Seems to work, but now I have a bunch of unused wire basket units sitting in the garage!

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Okay, still can't like anything....but love the cabinet. You lucky girl!!

My favorite is my little storage cabinet that fits right under my machine.  The top has little cubicles that I can put all my tools in and have easy access to.  I keep my oil, screw drivers, small rulers, etc. in there.  The side I have a roll of paper towels on and in the draws I can keep all the other things I need.  I have too many rulers to all fit in this and would like to come up with better storage for that.  I'm thinking the ikea cabinet would be much better for those.  I'd like to have one for rulers, stencils and things like that.   I have a CD cabinet for all my thread and that works out great. http://www.michaels.com/10109501.html#start=10 

Good idea, will have to look into that. 

I would have to say my Koala cabinet that holds my sewing machine and server. It also has a fold out for quilting. I can also fold it in to reduce size if I need to put an air mattress in my studio for grandchildren. This cabinet was a splurge for me but I had sewn for about 50 years on either a table or small machine cabinet. I feel like a queen. The picture shows the quilting side. I have placed my George next to the extension. Love my studio.

post-67334-0-36023400-1453677200_thumb.jpg

For my cutting/sewing table, my DH suggested getting a couple kitchen cabinets and a wood door with no hardware for the table top. I actually have two of these tables. I used to cut fabric on the dinner table and my back did not like that at all.

Yes, that is my idea too, sort of. My first idea, was so we would not have to cut any wood, just assemble, a 4' x 8' sheet of 3/4" plywood, for the base, on 4 heavy duty casters. 2 cabinet base units, the kind with 2 doors and 2 drawers. Because theses would be back to back on either end of the plywood, there would be an empty space in between where I could store a roll of batting. I could put hooks on the sides to hold cutting rulers. Keep my rotary cutters, in the drawers. Then a 3/4", 4' x 8' sheet on top. Then I could put my large cutting mat on top. This way when we move, we can just disassemble this table, to move it. Then there was a question of the size, (I didn't bring this subject up), came up and he asked if it could be 4' x 6'. Well, yes, it could be, and if that is all I can get, I will take it. That really might be enough. But I love the idea of casters so I can push it up against the wall when not in use. We will see. Yes, cutting on the dining room table doesn't cut it for me either. 

I'm only 5FT so I have a Ping-Pong table for my cutting table, I now have the room for it in our Michigan home.  I also took one of the doors we removed from the house, added legs and now have a 82 by something ironing board.  Quilters are so innovative!

Archived