Bobbins

Sheila S.

I have a question about bobbins, I was told that bobbins are all a little different and you should uses one bobbin and each time it runs out fill it and use it again. I just finished a queen size quilt and I have to say it is time consuming to stop and fill the bobbin every time it runs out. Does anyone else feel that you should use the same bobbin on the quilt you are working on?

I have lots of bobbins, and fill several in advance for each quilt.  Using a Towa gauge with each bobbin change helps me keep a consistent tension, probably adjusting for any slight variations in each bobbin.  I have never heard of only using one bobbin all the time, so it will be interesting to see what others have to say on this topic!

I would hope the person who told you this might have been referring to the type of bobbin and not that you should use the exact same single bobbin only. If your machine likes aluminum bobbins better, buy enough of that type so you can wind all the bobbins you'll need at once. 

The person that said this meant to use the same bobbin because there is sometimes a difference in how they run. After this last quilt I did today I am going to order a few more bobbins and fill several so I do not have to stop and wind them as I go.

Thank you ladies for your response.

WOW! I guess that would be time consuming using a single bobbin! I have a large number of aluminum bobbins I use. Depending on the thread type and the pattern I am quilting I will wind anywhere from a dozen bobbins to several dozens. I don't use a Towa gauge, I use the drop test and haven't had any issues with my stitch quality.

Liam, I am putting in an order for several bobbins and will do the same. I had problems with my tension both in bobbin and top thread and could not get it fixed. I got on my computer and found a utube and I was happy to get my tension problem fixed. In the video it showed the drop test and that is what I will use for now on. I was using the towa for setting my tension and I think I wasted my money buying that towa.

Glad hearing that you use the drop method and it works for you too.

I pretty much use one bobbin per quilt.  Part of the reason I felt like I needed a machine with the M bobbin system. The L's drove me nuts.  I have probably a dozen and a half bobbins for each of my two machines, all steel, by the way, so it's not like I only have one to work with, but using one per quilt keeps me from having a lot of partially full bobbins, especially ones with the same thread on them.  I would never tell anyone that's what they need to do, but it is what I do.  I can't remember ever winding more than one bobbin at a time.  If I have a partial bobbin with the thread I'm planning to use, I'll start the quilt with that bobbin, and then re-wind it as I use up the thread.  I have several industrial bobbin winder that takes maybe a minute (probably not that long) to wind a bobbin.  I use the time it's winding to brush lint out of the bobbin case and bobbin basket.  Works for me.  Jim

Wow. I've run both steel and aluminum bobbins on the same quilts and my bobbin colour is usually different than my top thread. I will double check my bobbin tension with my Towa gauge when changing from steel to aluminum and back.

Sheila

Now you have good tension, get a reading with your Towa and then you will have a baseline. I don't understand why but our two machines like different tension settings.

Nigel

I always wind a bunch of bobbins....I usually just have one cone of thread of each color and if I am running the same thread in the bobbin....it would be very time consuming to wind a bobbin each time it gets empty.  I don't do a lot of dense quilting so I usually wind 6-8 bobbins (L) when starting a queen size quilt....pay attention as to when I use them all up and then wind more making a guess on how many more I will need...so I am only stopping to wind bobbins at the beginning and hopefully once more in the middle.  Usually I only have a partial bobbin at the end.  .Lin

Archived