Bobbins

I have a question about bobbins, I was told that bobbins are all a little different and you should uses one bobbin and each time it runs out fill it and use it again. I just finished a queen size quilt and I have to say it is time consuming to stop and fill the bobbin every time it runs out. Does anyone else feel that you should use the same bobbin on the quilt you are working on?

I fill about as many bobbins as I think I'll need for a quilt. Before I use each bobbin, I check it with my Towa. My machine likes a Towa setting of about 170. Even if I wind 7 bobbins at one time and they look the same they have a different Towa reading, so I check each one before I use. Hope this helps.

Deb.

Sheila:

That might be one way to ensure your bottom tension does not change, but myself I do not follow that rule of only using one bobbin.  I bought 80 aluminum bobbins when I got my George, and simply set the bobbin tension with every bobbin change along with cleaning the bobbin tension spring.  Feel free to use as many bobbins as you see fit.  I try guess how much thread I need to load on a bobbin so I do not have to store it with the thread color number to use later.  After a free trials and errors, you will get fairly good as guessing how much thread to load.  Lastly, there are a lot of old wives tails out there, so do what works for you and don't sweat the little things.  Just have fun.

Cagey

agree with the posts before me.

Lordy be!  I think it would waste a lot of time to use the same one each time.

Daughter and I are using the extras as a top thread on our dsm to make more bobbins available.

Haven't seen anything wrong with the tension, either.

Archived