Needles for Ultimate 1

CPayne:

I know this sounds dumb, but make sure you did not put the needle in backwards.  We have all probably made the mistake on our DSM or longarm.  If it is in properly, try tweaking the needle a tad right or left to the 6:30 or 5:30 position.   If that does not work, I say go back to your Singer needles.  If they have been working well, why change the operable setup?  I hope this helps.  Take care, and have a wonderful day.

Cagey

Yes they are supposed to be the same. The hook should just touch the needle just enough to get the needle to deflect slightly. I can just barely hear mine tick as it touches. If it is hitting too hard you will have to move the hook back a bit (timing). A few years ago I got some needles from APQS in the same yellow SNS packaging that I had been using all along. I had a problem with skipped stitches with the new ones. I discovered the new needles were not touching the hook like the old ones so I moved the hook forward and problem solved. What I am saying is even within the same brand you may find variances.

Nigel

Cagey, thanks for your reply. I will try tweaking the needle and see if that works. Also, I would love to keep using the Singer needles but I could not find them online to purchase and kept being referred to the Groz-Beckart and was told they bought out Singer needles. If anyone knows where I can purchase, please let me know. I don't want to mess with timing if I don't have to. Thanks again!

Groz-Beckert has been making the Singer needles right along.  I guess they've just decided to do away with the Singer brand.

Nigel, are you using the titanium ones?  While researching needles for my post on them, I ran across literature that said one of the benefits of titanium coated needles was that, unlike chrome, you could set the hook so it touched the needle without fear of damaging the needle.  Good to know.  Jim

Jim

I use both but mostly chrome lately. APQS uses chrome and sets the timing at the factory so the hook just deflects the needle and that is the way I've always done it on the long arm. Every time I tried to set it almost zero clearance I've had skipped stitches. If you were educated on domestic machines the hook touching the needle will be against all your training.

Nigel

Archived