Rulers and stitch path

I am trying to quilt using rulers but it is not going very well. When using rulers do you stitch in the ditch around the area first? I seem to be going over the same stitch path several times and my blocks look sloppy. Also when I have commented on other quilters on this forum some have said they take classes to help them and suggest I do the same. Where do you take these classes or can I take them online?

On-line classes at Craftsy, AQS - Iquilt.  You can also purchases DVD's from various teachers/quilters websites.  When you find that you are backtracking over a particular area a little too often, take a minute to plan a new quilting path, or add a couple of starts and stops.  I'm curious as to why you are trying to quit using rulers?

I like the looks of some of the ruler work on quilts and I am trying to do a quilt but not liking my results. I am very new at quilting on a long arm so I know I have tons to learn. I have seen other post that say practice a lot and take classes when you can. The problem with classes is where I live there just aren't any. I will check out the crafts classes though. Thank you for your comments.

There are a lot of Youtube videos that teach you simple techniques. I would suggest you go to Youtube and type in longarm rulers. Here is one I just found made by apqs, 

There are so many good resources out there, don't spend your money until you find someone you really want to learn from. Youtube is the greatest thing since sliced bread. 

When you are ready to take classes, I would suggest going to a longarm convention, such as MQS or MQX, Personally, because it is easier for me to get to, I attend MQS, but many of the teachers are the same or teach the same. You can spend several days in a row attending either hands on, or lecture classes taught by some of the nationally or internationally known quilters such as Marilyn Badger, Claudia Pfeil, Myrna Ficken, Sherry Rogers Harrison, Renae Haddadin, and the list goes on. 

Sheila,  google MQX, it's basically a longarm  learning convention/show.  I believe it's next month in New Hampshire.  They have a ton of "hands on classes" and lectures, well worth the money.  The teachers that Mary Beth mentioned are top notch.  You can go to the teachers websites and see where they are teaching in person too, you may have to travel for a class or two but it's up to you.  Using rulers is another learning path, sounds like you may be backtracking over your stitches, take a minute and sit down with a large piece of paper and practice your path with a pen/pencil  until you find one you are comfortable with then take your trained hands to the machine.  Another way to practice is with "practice fabric"  and no thread.  Hang in there we are here to help you. 

Thank you all for such good advice. I am jumping right into this new adventure and I think I need to slow down a little. I will look into these classes and try to find one or two to go to. This forum is so helpful and I am so glad that I have so many people here with great advice and experience.

Archived