The Unpardonable Sin-Calling A Quilt A Blanket

I had someone the other day call one of my quilts a blanket and I started to correct her but then stopped....I didn't know how to describe the difference.  I know some of my family use them interchangeably.

I goggled it but found way too many different definitions and few that agreed.

So:  What is your professional definition of a blanket and the definition of a quilt so that I can sound really really intelligent the next time this comes up.  Now remember who you are explaining this to:  no big words.

David

For me, "blanket" is a generic term for any sort of bed covering intended to keep you warm (including quilts). A quilt is a type of blanket that includes "padding" between two layers of fabric (of about any type) and that all the layers have been secured together by stitching or tying, etc.

Hummmm all good.  My definition, a blanket is something mass manufactured by industry,  can be made from many materials and sold primarily in retail stores.   A quilt is made from pieces of fabric sewn/tied together in layers with lots of patience, excitement and love.  However, if you dig down deep, what is the difference between a comforter and a quilt?  What about all those handmade (mostly tied) fleece "blankets".  Wow, this could be a can of worms to figure out.  Great question, David!!!!

I go with Judy Day's and Connie's definition.  To me a blanket is the single layer item used to cover a person in a bed.  The fleece goes under the blanket category for me because they are just "hemmed" not quilted (tying through the full area qualifies as quilting).  Most quilts are pieced to some degree and stitched with design to hold layers together. Comforters are in their own category.  Too heavy and too hot!  Feathers are not batting.

David:

First off if its under $50 its probably a blanket, and if it costs more than $50 it is probably a quilt. 

Though in reality I feel you must look at the "verb" tense of each word to get to the definition you are looking for.

Blanket - verb - cover completely with a thick layer of something.

Quilt - verb - join together (layers of fabric or padding) with lines of stitching to for a bed covering or warm garment, or for decorative effect.  

As I see it any single layer bed covering is a blanket.  Once you get multiple layers it becomes a quilt in my humble opinion.  Concerning those that use the wrong word referring to your art work, just consider it lack of understanding and ignorance in the subject.  Just like words "clip" or "magazine" and "bobbin finger" or "bobbin tension spring".  Try to use the proper terms when discussing any subject.   

In the end, when your family member asks you to make them a blanket, just hand them a layer of batting, as it meets the verb definition of a "blanket".  Then they may come to understand the true meaning of the two words.

Cagey

Cagey, I really like your solution to teaching the definition of blanket:

"In the end, when your family member asks you to make them a blanket, just hand them a layer of batting, as it meets the verb definition of a "blanket".  Then they may come to understand the true meaning of the two words."

Thank goodness my grandchildren seem  understand the importance of their quilts from Grandma.  They are 6,4 and 2.  I think their mom had a lot to do with them understanding how cool it is to get something handmade.  Dylan (6)  was playing the other day with some binder clips and he explained that these were "quilt aliens" and the eat quilt fabric!   Only the words were pronounce quilt " aweons"  and quilt "fabwic". Just cracked me up.  I hope I can remember the sound of his sweet little boy voice till the day I die.

My view...... Yes a word has a definition. For me, it's how the person talks about the "quilt" that I or someone else made. It's the look on their face, the tone of their voice and that twinkle in their eyes when they say that word  "Quilt" or "Blanket".  And when their love for that gift shows, my heart sings. Happy stitching everyone. 

My Canadian grandmother (Memere) called her quilts "blankets"--perhaps it was lost in translation.  Sometimes when I get hung up on all the "mistake finding" , it keeps me humble to remember, "My people called them blankets!"  I do like Oma's answer!

I have a friend nicknamed Fred who crochets beautiful afghans for patients at a local hospital.  She is especially known for her flag afghans that the hospital gives to veterans.  She calls every one of these works of art a blanket.  For Fred, it just doesn't make a difference. 

However, she (usually) calls my projects quilts, and today, Fred had her first quilting lesson with me!  In this case, even though she may call everything a blanket, Fred does, in fact, understand the very real differences between quilts, afghans, and store blankets.  In general, though, I think most people who call quilts "blankets" do not appreciate quilts.  I try not to give quilts to those people. :)

Archived