Horizontal Spool Holder

Hi Friends,

Do any of you use the Horizontal Spool Holder on your machines.  I do not have one and have only used threads that are on cones.  Anyone have any experience with this.  Is it worth ordering and utilizing?

I looked through the website and don't even see a picture of how one would install this should I purchase it or what the thread path would be.

Thoughts are welcome.

Thanks All!

Patrice

Patrice

Here are two picture of one I found on the for sale area showing the spool holder.  

I got one with my George but so far have not mounted it.  I too primarily have cones, but when I needed to use a small stacked wound thread spool, I just place part of the horizontal spool holder on the normal cone pin.  Then the thread runs the normal thread path.  If you mount it which would be more secure on a true longarm, I believe the thread bypasses the thread guide nearest the normal cone holder.  I hope this helps you.  Have a great day.

Cagey

post-65706-0-67776500-1457717276_thumb.jpg  post-65706-0-60879800-1457717298_thumb.jpg

I bought an inexpensive one about 5 years ago. I don't remember where I got it..online. it is basically a rod that screws into the machine when you remove one of the screws that holds the cover on, and has the round plastic discs on it. I have never used it. I probably never will use it. I buy thread designed for the longarm, do very little art quilting and have, to date, used zero specialty thread. I would never buy the $50 spool holder. Mine looks just as nice sitting in the drawer unused, and it was under $20.

Hi Patrice,

Marilyn badger carries 2 kinds, I bought the small one from Apqs & bought 1 for big spools from Marilyn last year when I took a class from her in Rancho Cucamonga dealer in California. Saves time walking back and very useful if you do multiple thread changes.

I had the small spool holder on my machine when I was quilting for customers. I had a couple of ladies who did applique on almost every quilt. I used the Monopoly from Superior thread to outline the applique. I used them a lot, and I never had a problem with the tension or stitch problems. I did have to learn to adjust the tension, mostly because the monopoly is tricky. 

Archived