The Thread's a thread

So last summer when I was waiting for my finances to settle, I knew I was ordering a Millie, and started setting up my room and "gear" so I could hit the ground running when the machine arrived.  After talking to a friend who runs a longarm business (different brands), he told he he used Superior's "Omni" thread almost exclusively.  So I subscribed to their Omni thread of the month and started getting three spools of Omni thread every month. I also Bought a dozen or so spools of my favorite colors.

Then I started talking to APQS owners who told me that Omni wouldn't work well.  So I panicked and cancelled my subscription. I have a lovely collection of very colorful threads that I have been afraid to use because of my well-meaning friends.  

BUT, every day I have begun to practice free motion quilting with Malcolm (my Millie).  Slowly improving and learning.  This morning, I finally decided I was going to try my Omni thread and see what problems I had with it.  None.  Not a single problem.  It stitched out beautifully without even making an adjustment!  I understand that it is a 40 wt thread and so I'll want to keep it for when I want the thread to show, as it's not going to slip into the fabric like a 60 wt might, but it looks simply glorious on my practice blocks.  

What's my point?  YOUR experience will be different than anyone else's because you are YOU.  Don't be afraid to play and try new things.  When I took my beginner's class with Dawn Cavenaugh, she told us to play--to tweak and try everything because the machine can handle it!  Sometimes I forget.  

Try new things.  Do what others tell you won't work.  It just might work for you!  Now, I'm going back to play!  I'll attach a photo of my threads.  40 wt on the left, 50 wt in the middle and 60 wt on the right hand side.

post-69077-0-35561100-1457797450_thumb.jpg

David:

As Gina Perkes said in a recent class I took, you are the master of your machine.  It will run any and all threads.  You just have to set it up correctly.  I suggest keeping notes on how your threaded it and what needle you used, so you can come back and have a starting point when you switch threads.  Knock on wood, so far after getting the thread path down my George has run every thread I have used so far.  Best of luck to you.

Cagey

Good for you!  Thus far I have not had any tension issues or thread breakage with any of the thread I have tried on my Millie, even threads I have been told did not work well. I've only had to make minor adjustments with the different threads I have used. Now I may have just jinxed myself. :huh:

It always did strike me as silly when I would read that this machine or that machine did not "like" a certain thread.  But I was right there for a bit, as mine did not "like" Rainbows, LOL, at least for a couple of years.  Now it runs anything I put on it. 

PS--  I am green with envy over your shelves for thread.  I have run out of space where I have been storing mine; I am looking for something new and compact.  Will probably have to go with the under the table Ikea set up I saw on this forum a few weeks ago.

The thread issues are usually due to timing adjustments, proper needle choice, and the fabric you're sewing.  I've had problems (2 or 3 breaks per quilt) with Glide in the past, but since I re-timed my machine for the Schmetz SERV 7 needle and started using that needle, the breaks have gone away.  No breaks, no missed stitches.  You've got to be willing to adjust your machine.  Jim

Archived