Quilting Regina

Is this normal?

When I'm quilting and make a sudden change in direction, there is a bit of a jerk in the head of the machine as if something is a little loose.  The handle is tight.  Is there something else that I can tighten that will stop this jerking or is this normal? 

Lucey and Quilt Path

LaGrange, GA

You might have a bit of fish-tail going on and adjusting your carriage wheels is a good place to start. Fishtailing is where the head slews slightly and feels like a little jump---like a car going too fast around a curve and the back end goes out of alignment with the front. If you're happy with the contact your wheels are making with the rails (you have a smooth ride and a smooth stitching line) you may want to slow down at the sharp points. Otherwise adjust your carriage wheels a bit tighter so there's no play.

Linda Rech

Finely Finished Quilts

Millennium on Bliss rails--hand-guided

http://www.topperquilttools.com

Depending on the age of your Lucey and the kind of wheel system you have, you may not be able to adjust those wheels.  Check that the block holding your handle is tight - if you have the ergonomic (movable) handles, tightening up the thumbscrews on the front of the block only tightens that block around the handle.  If the block itself is "wiggly," you may need to tighten up the allen screws that hold that block tight against the head.  If that's the case, check back here for instructions or give me a call at (509) 671-1467.

314B4A28F5D2B9A393862864B500E102.png
Barbara Mayfield
APQS Sales Representative & Educator
AND Quilt Path owner!!!

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best." ~Henry van Dyke

APQS Northwest

1315 NW Mall Street, Suite 4

Issaquah, WA  98027

(425) 243-3502

info@apqsnw.com

www.apqsnw.com

I'm not sure what year Lucey I have.  I bought it last year used from APQS, and it has the bliss system.  The looseness does not seem to be coming from the front of the block, but by the same token, I can't really tell where it's coming from.  Can carriage wheels for a bliss system be tightened?

Lucey and Quilt Path

LaGrange, GA

Nope, Bliss is a fixed system.  You might want to give APQS Service a call.

314B4A28F5D2B9A393862864B500E102.png
Barbara Mayfield
APQS Sales Representative & Educator
AND Quilt Path owner!!!

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best." ~Henry van Dyke

APQS Northwest

1315 NW Mall Street, Suite 4

Issaquah, WA  98027

(425) 243-3502

info@apqsnw.com

www.apqsnw.com

I'm wondering if it's something that the Bliss system does and just takes some getting used to.  I concur with Barb.  Contact APQS, but when I first got Bliss things were loosey goosey, and it was disconcerting.

Beth Durand

Elizabeth Originals Custom Quilting

www.eocquilting.com

beth@eocquilting.com

2006 APQS Millenium

Authorized APQS Dealer