Sign in to follow this  
BethDurand

Is my magic quilting wand broken, or is it the quilt top?

This quilt is partially hand pieced, mostly machine pieced and/or repaired.  Carol's grandmother and great-grandmothers are believed to have been the makers, but this is lost in family history.  Certainly 1930's, and a few reproductions may have been replaced by Carol.

What can I do to make it better?  I had a vision in my head of what it was going to look like, perfectly flat, beautifully quilted.  It's not working out that way.

Using wool batt and so fine.

Thanks.

post-1438-0-02422800-1457903042_thumb.jpg

post-1438-0-29925100-1457903057_thumb.jpg

post-1438-0-67751800-1457903088_thumb.jpg

post-1438-0-72473900-1457903101_thumb.jpg

Beth Durand

Elizabeth Originals Custom Quilting

www.eocquilting.com

beth@eocquilting.com

2006 APQS Millenium

Authorized APQS Dealer

Can you press the top a bit?  From the pictures, it looks awfully wrinkled where it hasn't been quilted.

I'm also wondering if the top was flat when you started.  It could well be the top, and not you.  Unfortunately, I have not done a quilt like this, either in age or design, so I am speaking from a position of blissful ignorance.  :mellow: 

Betsy

quilting with Emmeline, a 2011 Freedom SR

Sadly, that IS pressed.  Starched and steamed and anything else I can think of.  I think it's the top, but I really thought that my wand would work better.

Beth Durand

Elizabeth Originals Custom Quilting

www.eocquilting.com

beth@eocquilting.com

2006 APQS Millenium

Authorized APQS Dealer

You can tuck some of the fullness under the pieced rings and stitch it down with SID. Depends on the pressing, though. If the pressing allows, it's a pain, but it can be done. You can also use a much small design in the center and eat up fullness with tight stipple around it. Maybe a combination of the two. It's the top, and it's the muslin. It is not well done and might be better with another layer of batting and an overall. As much as we would like to, we can't always pull off a miracle.

BDB923036A9F827EF84ACA918FB6F02D.png

Start with a batting with better loft like quilters dream wool. I have done one of these poorly hand pieced DWR quilt top that I bought from an old quilter, practiced on this quilt when I was a newbie. Turned out beautiful after quilting, tucks and all. I spray starched the problem areas too.

You will be amazed how beautiful this quilt will look like after quilting, your magic wand will work.

post-2468-0-15958400-1458305409_thumb.jpg

8E0E35981D02CAFC132FF6C4CC79AB40.png

Corey Starkey

IQ & Bllissed Millennium

Beth I have done a couple of quilts like this one. I use Bonnie Botts' starch n' steam method, starch the heck out of it. Any tucks try to hide them under the rings as Lynn suggested. I have found if you quilt a open design you can hide some of the fullness (with a high loft batting), but it is a slow process to avoid tucks. Quilting the heck out of it works too, but you will have to hide the tucks the best you can. Anyways good luck!

8EA3F8AB67CAE9B4618443BDC6588E06.pngsignature.png.1b0eddf5a8f9b785ff18723ff6665887.png

Be Yourself, Everyone Else is Already Taken.