Hot Air Balloon quilt

I finally finished this. It started out as a "mystery quilt" last summer. I hated where it was going so I left it on my design wall then started cutting it up and moving the strips around then after all this time and finally just hurried up and got it finished so I could go on to something else. The colors are good, but it seems awkward to me. It's like an optical illusion.  I think I'll just fold it up and put it on the foot of one of the beds and let the embroidered balloons look nice.

Oma,

I like it!!!!...to me the colorful strips look like streamers coming from the balloons!  And it will keep folks warm!  I would use it in the middle of January when the snow is flying outside....just like it is right now....we might get "up to 14 inches" today....groan..........Did you embroider the balloons too?  Lin

Oma:

I think it looks great.  It is only after you mentioned that you did not like it, that I went back to see its so called flaws.  Even then, nothing awful jumped out at me.  I see your issues, but again only after you said something.  That is why I try to look at any and all pictures prior to reading the post.  That way I get an unbiased view of the piecing and quilting.  Then I go back to the pictures as different posters point out particulars of the quilt top or back.  I guess it is why some quilts win at shows when others do not.  I can see the workmanship and art that went into the quilts, but in the back of my mind I think I would never want that particular quilt in my house.  I guess that is why there are so many different categories of quilts and quilting.  It lets everyone enjoy what they think is best.  Keep up the great work, and thank you for sharing with us.

Cagey

Lin, I did embroider the balloons.  I have an embroidery machine and each one of those balloons took almost two hours to embroider.  I liked the variety of colors in them and I liked how they looked with the strips.  The quilt is too "squarish" and I really don't like square quilts.  I think that's my biggest problem with it. 

Enjoy your snow.  I think we're suppose to be near the 80's.  You're getting the storm that blew through here a few days ago.  Lots of rain, which we needed.  Lovely weather to get some sewing done.

Oma,

I too tend to not favor "squarish" quilts, but I like this quilt and think it looks great.  I also have embroidery machine and use some of my embroidery pieces in my quilts.  This is not always an easy feat, as the two type of mediums have  to "mesh" well to work.  I think you accomplished this.  I agree with sewingpup - your strips serve as the balloon streamers!  Ginger

Archived