Hartley Fence and other gadgets

Cecile

My Millenium should be arriving home by early next month. Do any of you old timers (and quick starter newbies) have any suggestions about gadgets? What rulers and templates are you using? Is there anything specific I need to know about the adapter foot and gadget brand, thickness, usefulness, redundency and compatibility? For example, say I want to do lots and lots of Baptist Fans -- and I plan to do crosshatching -- do I get the Hartley Fence and base kit or base kit and a couple of hundred dollars worth of templates and rulers? I can see that this is an expensive baby to dress. All suggestions and observations are welcome!

Ceci

Text[/font

I also would like some suggestions on what would be a good investment for a starter on rulers and templates. I am getting my numbers together for the start up costs.

Also, with the Millennium how long did it take for some of you other quilters to get used to the machine and be able to start quilting for others? I know that everyone is different, but just need some examples.

Did you start out with pantos, freehand, ect? I know this takes a lot of PPP!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I am fairly new to LA I purchased my millie in Nov 2001. I have used the Hartley fence for all my circles and I have done one Baptist fan. My question is when doing a baptist fan, How do you set it up so that the top and final row will be a full fan. or do you just let it play out( partial fan. I would also like tio know if anyone

has more instruction for the Hartley fence Can I do orange peel with it or other border posibilities. Thanks

Jeanne

Hi Jeanne

I have just read your question about the Baptist Fan and Orange Peel. The orange peel question is a little difficult to do and answer so I will have to give some thought to how to describe the process before posting.

The question of how do you start and finish with full fans is easier.

Firstly it is quite acceptable to finish with a part fan - I have seen it on many quilts.

As you quilt, your top "shrinks" a little and so it is very difficult to centre exactly your fans lengthwise over a top but you can get pretty close.

Work out the size of the largest fan you would like to quilt and divide this number into the length of the quilt. ie 80" divided by 8" arcs - you would have 10 rows of arcs. There would be some "shrinkage" - it might be 1"-2" on a quilt of this length so you would start your first row of arcs 1/2 to 1" off the edge of the quilt. This will give you an acceptable appearance top and bottom. Remember different types and thicknesses of batting will quilt up differently.

Hope this is clear. I will give some thought to orange peel over the next few days - UNLESS someone else has an answer to hand - any takers?

Sue in australia

Hi everyone, it's Phyllis here, I've finally managed to get into this forum, but what on earth are all these faces for? -----> (They are right opposite here as I'm writing this).

As to the Fence, mine is on it's way back to me from a short visit with Hartley. I sent it down for him to refurbish it to better fit my Millennium. I have also ordered their new base and some of the cookie cutter templates. I would LOVE to have some more instructions, but I will work it out somehow. I LOVE the Fence for B/Fans and circles etc. and can't wait to get trying out the new shapes. I do also use rulers, ovals, hearts and wavy ones, but you can't beat the Fence for circles and arcs.

Phyllis Wright, Victoria, B.C.

Hi Phyllis:

I totally agree with your opinion on the usefulness of the Fence. I'm glad to hear you are using yours a lot, as I feel this is an invaluable tool for today's longarm machine quilters. If there is anything we at APQS can do to assist you in the use of the Fence, just let us know. We're happy to help.

Have you seen the other templates that Marilyn & Hartley have produced that work with the Expanded Base kit? They are really neat! There is a two-sided wave, a two-sided scallop (different sizes), a couple of Paisley shapes, and a French Curve. They are really slick! Call me or email me if you need more info on those. Fun to use!

In regard to the faces, you may click on one to help express your state of mind at any time during your post. Just a fun little addition for our site. Thanks for posting and participating!!

Hi , I have finally found my way back into this forum!!

I have had my new Millennium, traded up from an Ultimate 1 , for 3 months now & am not regretting it for a moment. Love the stitch regulator for accuracy and control....

Have noticed a few requests for information on gadgets & tools for our machines. I would like to offer another alternative for gadgets that are very reasonable in price which may assist in your start up costings! Please visit my website in my signature and check the 'rulers' page. There is also hints & tips to share for everyone. I am not the definitive expert on using templates so welcome others ideas, suggestions and hints so that we can all benefit!

Hope this may be of some help to you!

Cheers:D

Tracey

www.constantinequilts.com

Hi again

Forgot to mention last time that you really need to spend some time learning your machine before deciding what type of quilting you really like to do!! If you find that you love pantos then you will not need many 'gadgets'. If you absolutely love the freehand side and being creative and original then I say go for the templates and always 'think outside the square' when looking at them to use them in all sorts of ways other than their obvious purpose. You will find that you will use some shapes far more than others, but this is a real personal thing. It is what your style of original quilting lends itself too!!!

Hope this helps rather confuses you....

Cheers

Tracey in Australia

www.constantinequilts.com

Hi

I think it was Phyllis that said she had the paisley template. They were sold out at QTQ and I just keep forgetting to order mine. I am dying to get one. I think you could quilt around the paisly shape and then make feathers around the outside and fill in the centre with whatever freehand quilting you like. Has anyone besides Phyllis got the paislely template and what creative ideas have you got for using it?

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

Hi there,

Sorry, it's not me who has the Paisley ruler. I have just purchased Hartley's extended base with the two straight rulers. I think they are awsome! I love the extra control they give being able to hook your finger tips over the edge of the handle. I also bought 3 sets of templates for the Hartley Fence, can't wait to try them out!:D

I'm trying to put one of these faces (the one with the teeth) at the end of my post, but it doesn't seem to want to go, exactly how are you meant to use them??

Phyllis.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

I can highly recommend Myrna Ficken's video "Using your Hartley Fence". I just got my Fence too. The person that I got it from gave me Myrna's Workbook of the same name. While it's informative I'm a "show me" person and need to see it being done. The video really helped me understand how to make all the different shapes. Now I'm practicing, practicing, practining! So much fun!

Archived