Marshalls Dry Goods Fabric Quality Comparison?

What is your opinion of Marshalls Dry Good fabric quality .. their Classics as compared to Moda (or other quilt quality fabric) as well as compared to JoAnn's or Hancocks, etc. I think all fabric has its own place and use. Thanks for your opinions.   ;)

Some of the backing fabric is OK and I use some of them, and their piecing fabrics are OK for community quilts or those that will be dragged around by kids, however I will not use them for my quilts.  The name brand fabrics such as Moda, RJR, Marcus, etc, are noticeably and definitely higher quality than the MJD fabrics.  Their warehouse/shop is a 2-1/2 hour drive for me and I make a trip down once a year, oh what fun!

Since we are talking about fabric, I have a question.  Is felt that you get at Hobby Lobby, Walmart, Joann, and Hancocks all the same quality.  I wanted to try something using felt, but my quilt fabric store does not carry it.  Since I am going to use it in a quilt, I do not want a low quality item.  Also, is there any concern with felt being used in a quilt top, such as dye run, shrinkage, etc.?  Thank you for the information.

Cagey

Cagey:  I would want wool felt for most of my projects.  Very hard to find at the outlets you mention, mostly poly there.  Since there is a fairly narrow market for it, I would buy wool felt online to make sure I get what I think I'm getting.  Even most of the quilt shops that have wool felt don't have much of a selection.  Jim 

Jim:

Thank you the education.  That is why I always ask before buying or trying something.  I got a PM educating me that what I truly want is "felted wool" to use in quilt tops.  I will have to see what I can find.  I thank all of you for being so helpful.

Cagey

I am a big fan of Moda fabric and it is the fabric I mainly use. Occasionally I will use the off brands, but these are used on donated charity quilts.

Cagey, Jim is right use the felted wool! The department store felt does not hold up very well. Several years ago my friend Sue and I made matching wilderness applique quilts to give to each of our son's. I used felted wool and she used Department store felt she brought at Michael's. My son's quilt has lasted with no issues, even after many washings. Sue has repaired her son's quilt a few times.

I was really interested in Marshalls classics 6 yd flat folds. I'm always needing a couple yards of solids for something. Thank y'all. I have two types of piecing customers I want to keep happy: the economical, budgeted minded and the quilters quality only!

Archived