Yikes - Help

Mary Beth

I have a new customer, she is about 23 years old, who brought me a quilt top and told me what she wants. It is a "Turning Twenty" kind of top, flannel back, and a hairy fringe for the "binding". She want the fringe to be the finished edge.

Now to do this, I know I am going to need to stitch the top and back together, right sides together, with the fringe in the seam. Then turn it right side out, try to slip a piece of batting in between the layers - that is cut the exact size - then try to load it on my machine and quilt it. I am thinking of going on vacation instead :D I don't think this is going to work, and I am pretty sure I don't want to be the one to ruin her quilt top. And, I'm very sure I wouldn't know what to charge even if I was nutty enough to do this.

Am I thinking right....are those the steps I would need to take to create this master piece?!

Now if this was me I first would go get the wine and then reach for my can of basting spray "...I use the Sullivan's spray.

I would then spray attach the batting to either the front or the back....I'm thinking the front that way you can baste stitch the fring and these two layers together and know that they aren't going to run away.....GO GET ANOTHER GLASS of wine, and do what you suggested and then flip the quilt inside out.

By having the top and the batting spray attached it's not going to run away from you and you won't have to keep worrying about those two layers shifting....but I'm not sure what the back one will do...if you get a good match to the top and the back you shouldn't have any shift, but you need to make sure that they are positively perfect and pretty much wrinkle free when you attach it to the frame.

Okay...another glass of wine and attach it and get to it....

Good luck, its still not to late to back out....besides that....think if you do you won't have the hangover to contend with.:D

Okay, Bonnie, first off....I don't drink...I am ALWAYS designated driver!! So...one glass of wine and, look out!! After the second glass...there is no telling what would happen to the quilt - or the basting spray!! I'm going to read your post again, now, seriously!!

Me either, I don't drink....gave it up years ago....desided the night before wasn't worth the morning after.

I do think this can be accomplished, they flip quilts all the time that have prairie points in them, but I think I would have the wine there just in case all went south. :D

Mary Beth,

Couldn't you quilt it up to 1/2 " or so from the edges (just enough to turn under and topstitch) placing the fringes in between. I mean you'd have to pin the back side edge of the fringe in place between the two layers, then topstitch it, but would that work. Either that or have the wine and tell her you lost the thing;)

This is what I found on the internet about quilting and prarie points (which is basicaly the same concept)

Prairie Points Edging

Finishing The Quilt

Layer and baste quilt top for quilting method of your choice. When adding prairie points, quilt no closer than 1" to quilt edges. Trim the batting and backing even with the quilt top. Fold back the backing and pin to secure. (Prairie points are sewn to quilt top and batting only.)

So I would think you would have to do a full float of the quilt top, baste in place within 1" of the edge all around, do your quilting within the basting lines then remove the quilt trim like they state above and then the client can turn under the seam allowances on the back and hand stitch the back to the front.

I hope this helps a little

Joann

How about attaching the fringe after quilting and binding?

Fringe is easy to attach (like on a throw pillow edge) but not if you have to finesse it on by turning envelope-style or fussing it into an unquilted edge at the end.

Maybe it can be explained to your customer the extra work and thus money this will entail!!

I'd sew that fringe on top of a finished binding and then have a glass of wine, thank you!

Linda Rech

Mary Beth, you don't have to try to fit the batting in after you turn it right side out. This is how I would do it:

Lay the batting on the floor.

Lay the backing fabric on the floor on top of the batting, right side up.

Lay the fringy stuff along the outside edges of the quilt top so the fringe thingies are all pointing inside.

Lay the top fabric on top of the backing fabric, right side down and pin the fringy stuff to the quilt top (make sure the fringe is laying in between the backing and top)

Pin all of the layers together so it lines up evenly with the quilt top.

With the fringe side up, using your walking foot, stitch around the outer perimeter of the quilt top about 1-2 inches along the outside (make sure your fringe is laying pointing in). Stop about 6-8 inches from where you began and backstitch to keep the seam allowance from coming undone at the stop/start spot. Then trim the outside fabric & batting edges so you have about 1/2" seam allowance. You could snip the corners to remove bulk, too.

Turn it right side out and flatten out and hand stitch close the opening. The layers should all be the right direction and the little fringe thingies sticking out.

I don't know if you can do this, but you might be able to pin the pillow-cased quilt to your leaders and quilt it. I have not done that type of thing before. I think that if you used the adhesive batting that gets "melty" with the iron that would work to hold all the layers together, rather than pinning.

And, I really, really, really like Bonnie's suggestion about the wine. :)

Good luck and show us pics when it's done! :)

So, let's pretend that I'm not drunk, and I can get these layers together using on of the above mentioned metods. The thing that worries me is quilting this monster...what will keep things from moving? We always ask for 4" of batting and backing on each side...well, I'm not going to have that. I want to be Dawn Cavanaugh right now!!

I think my biggest fear would be getting to the end of the quilting and finding a big bubble on the top or back...I imagine it would be really difficult to quilt it without that happening, even with it basted. Even if it's just small ridge of pushed fabric I think you'll be upset. I could be wrong since I've never tried it....but I don't think I'd ever even try it...even with the help of a nice Pina Colada :D

Mary Beth....all kidding aside now. If you stabillize the top and batting with the spray you will have no shifting and a perfect area to quit on...you will only have to keep the backing from wrinkling and causing tucks and to stop it from bubbling at the bottom as someone else said.

If you have a perfect pillow case effect when you turn it back rightside out you shouldn't have the billowing effect....but I think I would still hand baste the now three layers so you won't have any shifting or billowing. Eleanor Burns uses this method of quilting, but she hand bastes or uses that tab-gun or pins to keep the layers from moving....she then uses a walking foot as she doesn't longarm her own things. You will also need to make sure that your sides are kept with full tension as well so that tucks don't sneak in there when you aren't looking.

I would then stablize the quilt by doing some SID until its flat and you can make sure its not going to billow at the bottom...once that is done you can finsih the quilt, but by SID IF you should get the billowing it won't be as bad to take out the stitches as if you started from the top and worked your way down. This may be one of those quilts that needs to be quilted from the middle out....

I agree this is going to be costly in time for you so if you could convince her to do something else I sure would try....if she really wants the fringe I think I would try to convince her that she use it as a embelishment and be sewn on the top after the quilt is finished, but I think someone already suggested that...

Bonnie,

Your method sounds like it would work. I was thinking if I load the quilt with the bottom pinned to the take up roller and the top - open edge to the backing roller, then if there is some kind of shifting it wouldn't be as bad. However, if there is a problem with the quilting, then it is a reflection on me and I really don't want that. I think I am going to call her today and visit about the delima and see if I can talk her into something different.

Thank you to all of you for your expert advice. I think you are brilliant - I knew right where to go when I thought there would be a problem.

Thank you, thank you!!

Better talk this one out with your customer ahead of time. I'll do just about anything, but I would maybe pass on this one!

Seems like this would be about the same as a quilt with the Prairie Points, quilt inside the quilt and leave room to attach and finish the edging after it's been quilted. Flipping and turning and such are not in the longarm quilters lexicon. Unless you want to invent a new method here, better figure out another way! I'm afraid that even if you didn't end up with billowing or puckering on the back, you'll have excess bulge by the time you get to the edges. hmmm, better think on this one some more. Good LUCK.

~~ Eva H.

Called customer told her the problem. She said that was fine, just go ahead a quilt it like I normally would. I started loading the quilt and noticed stitching lines in the backing. I think she tried to quilt it on her DMS and decided it was going to be too difficult so she brought it to me, bless her heart!! When she brought it in she had it safety pin basted halfway down the quilt and we took the pins out. Now I get it!! You have to get up pretty early in the morning to pull one over on me :cool:

Archived