Some days you probably shouldn't be trying to quilt

I decided to load another quilt top today and remembered I wanted to clean the machine first.  I always unthread the thread back to the tension dial and toss it up over the machine top.  I got it all cleaned and oiled and I was letting the machine run for a little bit to make sure everything was good.  When I got ready to rethread my machine I noticed my thread was going into the flywheel slot.  I gently started to pull the thread out while turning the flywheel by hand.  This went on for five minutes or better. I looked back to make sure I still had thread on the spool...lol...it had been a new spool.  Finally I took the side off the machine, but not without a few select words because my husband thinks "tight" means "really tight" when tightening a screw and he wasn't home to get them loose or for me to yell at him...AARRRGGHHH!!!!  Finally got them out and this is what I found...AACCCKKKK!!!! 

What should have take me ten minutes took me over an hour.  Had to look for the screws I dropped too you know.  I did get my quilt loaded, but by that time I was too pooped to quilt so I took my shower instead.  Tonight my husband's band is playing here in town so I'm going to go listen to them even though I hear them every week when they practice.  Maybe tomorrow I will get to quilt.

Oma I've been there and have the Tee Shirt, I had that happen to me when I had my Ultimate 2.  What a mess!!!  As Dell said, yours wrapped perfectly, I wasn't so fortunate when it happened to me. I got a fly wheel cover shortly after that.

I don't have one, Mary Beth.  This is the first time this has happened and I've had a long arm for years.  Guess I should invest in one in case it wants to happen again.

Del is right...look how perfectly that wound around there.  APQS machines are good aren't they....lol.

Oma:

The thread winding at least looks all prim and proper, almost like a new oil wick.  Maybe she just wanted a little extra attention like all of us want every now and then.  I am sure she will work like new now that you gave her extra time this week.  Have a great day, and happy quilting.

Cagey

:o   Wow.  I guess I wouldn't warm up the machine that way again.  I just had a customer call me after getting a Millie donated to her and she was telling me that there had to be a whole spool of thread wound up inside the machine.  I guess this is how that kind of stuff happens.  Fortunately for her, between her husband  and herself, they got it all cleaned out and it is running perfectly now.  

Mary Beth.  I agree.  It is a 2004 Millie and she called me about some problems with her wheels.  I redirected her to the service department and they helped walk them through replacing all the wheels and she says it runs like a dream now.  The woman that donated it said she used to do quilts for others, but she developed severe carpal tunnel, so because this gal and her group do Quilts of Valor quilts, she donated it to her.....the machine and a LOAD of accessories.  I think she is one lucky lady.  

The same thing happened to me TWICE in one day about the same time it happened to you.  I was quilting with QP.  My thread breakage sensor doesn't work, and I didn't hear the bobbin run out. The thread broke and got sucked in.  The first time I just pulled the thread out for a few minutes.  The 2nd time I pulled and pulled and finally gave in and took my machine apart and saw the same thing your picture shows.  I do have a cover, but it does not stay put so I'm on the hunt in hubby's tool box for more double sided sticky tape.  This hasn't happened in a few years and then twice in one day.  SMH  I felt your pain.  

I used to use painters tape to attach the plastic cover from a shoelaces package over the flywheel when I did not have the APQS manufactured flywheel cover. The window from the shoelace package was just the right size to cover the opening. Look in your recycling bin to see if you have something that might work. LOL

Archived