Thread Brands

I would like to know if any of you have used either of these thread brands, Marathon; out of Korea, or Exquisite; not sure where it comes from.  Exquisite's website is only three pages, so not a lot of information there, and Marathon seems to be made by or they make Aurifil.  Marathon also makes Brildor flame retardant thread that should be great for for baby quilts, as we were discussing that the other day.

I picked up some large spools at a show I recently visited, and wanted to know if they were quality threads.  The two dealers said they were, but they wanted to sell product.  I wanted to know before I used them in a quilt of my own.  If they are not quality brands, I will just use them in animal shelter quilts that I practice on.

Thank you in advance for any inputs.

Cagey

I can't talk for anyone else but I use glide because it quilts beautifully.  The thread has a little sheen and does not produce a lot of lint.  I only use the magna bobbins and there are a lot of colors and matching bobbins.  I've never had a tension problem with the thread.   I can also use the glide thread in my multi-needle embroidery machines.  I also use a few of the other threads carried by Fil-Tech (Bobbin Central).  Their customer service is great and delivery is quick.

Connie and Debbie:

Thank you for sharing.  I will have to try Glide, and see how it works for me.  I'm still trying to figure what works best for me, and wanted to know if some use brand X because it stitched well and did not need much tension adjustments.  Again, thank you both for sharing.

Cagey

Cagey, I use exquisite and like it very much.  I started searching for a local source for thread on cones, especially 60 wt. since I only use 60 in the bobbin.  I found exquisite at a sewing machine shop that sells a lot of embroidery thread, etc.  This thread is strong, has a nice sheen, runs smoothly, works well with any top thread and does not need to be tweaked.  And, the price is right for the 40 wt., $2.50 /1100 yds.  Not as good for 60 wt. The 60 wt. is new to the shop.  Plus I'm looking for a source for a larger cone, 1100 yds. doesn't go far.  I like it so well that I would buy it on line if I could find the larger cone.  I've wondered about marathon as I see it at the shows also.

Arielle:

Thank you for sharing.  With your quality quilting skills, it means a lot.  While thread cost is rather minimal in our art form, it does have to be considered.  I do not mind paying for things, but wonder at times if I am just paying for a name verses something that makes the product better.  I am playing with both of the treads I have mentioned, and will have to quilt more with them to make an informed decision.  Thank you again for sharing with us.  Take care, and have a wonderful day.

Cagey

Archived