Customer Questioned Back Tension

DebbieBrown

Finished Quilt for Customer who called back and asked about railroad tension on back only in certain spots where pattern changed direction - I have been told this is called Needle Flex and Directional Tension issues.  Question asked -- will it stay secure or will it come loose?  I advised that putting in dryer sometimes helped pull the threads into the batting and stated it would not come loose.  I offered to take quilt and "re-do" areas of tracking - what has others done in this situation?  I really don't want to have to take out and re-do but want to assure customer that quilting is secure - is it??  Even if the thread "lays" on the back in a few places, do others offer to take out and re-quilt?  This is not a show quilt and won't be judged by the quilt police!  What is advise of group?

It depends on how bad it is. If the thread is simply lying on the surface a bit more than it does in areas of perfect tension..well, that's the nature of longarm quilting and why we ask customers for a busy print backing. If it is eyelashes, I would take it out and requilt. Eyelashes will never pull into the batting.

• 1 month later...

Yes!  I have been having the same issue DebbiBrown!  I am trying different combinations of thread to see what helps eliminate that or not make it so noticeable.  I've been quilting for the public for a long time on a Gammill and I don't have this problem.  Just bought a demo Millie and I've been using Permacore front and back.  Kept doing it and now I'm just playing with other types of thread combos.  So annoying!

Just a comment on the problem.  It's caused because of unbalanced tension.  The top tension needs to be tightened, or the bobbin tension needs to be loosened.  There are directional tension differences, which can be helped by using a stiffer needle, but if the difference is noticeable, you need to work on the tension adjustment.  I hope this is helpful.  Jim 

Hi Debbie:

I always show "In Depth Discussion on Needle Flex and Tension" by Dawn that is on You Tube to my new machine owners, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOD5pLcYz3w.  It is very good.

I also recommend a finer thread in the bobbin, and if you tried the magnetic bobbins, make sure you remove the spring in the bobbin case.   

Whenever I get flatlining on the bottom, I start to tighten my top tension, (remember to go at least a 1/2 to one full turn to see a difference with the top tension), and find I may have to loosen the bottom tension a smidge to allow that bobbing thread to pull up into the batting layer.

I am  a real Glide fan with the pre-wound Magna Glide bobbins, but have also used Aurifill;  Master Quilter, Deco Bob, Invisifil and  Fabulux by Wonderfil and Sew Fine as well.  If you are winding your bobbins, make sure they are found firmly, your bobbin should not feel spongy after winding it.

On the USB stick that came with your machine, there is a really good article on tension by Dawn in the "Getting To Know Your Machine" section.  I referred to that many times when I was getting used to my machine.

Anyway, hope this helps, it takes time to adjust to a different machine.

Joanne Flamand

APQS Canada

Education, Sales and Dealer Support

Joanne:

Thank you for video link.  I had seen it before, but I still learned some new things from watching it again.  Also, as I bought my machine used, and it is an older model it did not come with a USB stick.  Can you post a link to the videos that are on the USB stick these days?  Thanks.

Cagey

Archived