tube on bobbin spindle

Hi, I tried a couple of searches but didn?t find what I wanted. On my Millennium, the bobbin spindle has a rubber tube on it that the bobbin slides on to. It?s coming off when I pull my filled bobbin off. I?m wondering if I need to replace it and what to ask for and hints on how to get the tube on.

TIA

Catherine

Hi Catherine,

That little bobbin tubing is non other than airplane fuel line for model airplanes. You should be able to find it at any hobby shop that handles that sort of thing. If you can't find it, let us know and we can get you some sent out from here.

Take care,

Hi Catherine,

What Mark negelected to mention is what a pain in the patootie it is to get that little tubing back on! When mine came off I think it was sheer force of will that eventually got it on. Now I'm much more careful when removing bobbings to be sure that it doesn't happen again.

Good luck.

Beth

If it's really hard to get back on, (say maybe it's even splitting) then it's too small. Replace it with a new piece of tubing in a little bit bigger size ~~ I got mine at the local "everything" store called Bi-Mart in the sporting goods department. It's rubber tubing they use on fishing floats, or floating jigs. And it's really cheap, just a few cents per foot. It comes in clear or black and I don't think it matters any which one you use.

Hope that helps. ~~ Eva H. Gone Fishing :cool: uh, that's Gone Quilting!

Oops I forgot to tell you that it is a pain to get back on. :o What we do here is spritz a little WD-40 in the tube and it will slide right on to the spindle again. ;)

Eva that is a good suggestion! And can I come along..fishing that is..:)

Have a great weekend!!

Oh, now the truth comes out WD-40!!....funny this topic has come up. I knew you said we could find it at a hobby type store...I went to Hobby Lobby - don't go there. I went to Michaels - really don't go there. I finally went to a hobby shop that specializes in model, gas powered planes and I purchased a 1 foot piece for 88 cents....it doesn't fit, it's too small. So I get to go back tomorrow and buy a bigger one. I went to a hardware store to get it last time and they had the right size, but it is food grade and it is harder plastic - oh my, that is terrible. It's back to the model airplane store for me...And by the way, know what you are doing when you go in there. I didn't take a piece with me so I didn't know exactly what size I needed. He asked me what it was for and when I told him, his eye brows shot up, "hmmm." was all he said.

For a temporary fix until you find the right size tubing---simply wrap a small rubber band around the spindle several times. Test to see if it holds the bobbin stationary and away you go! Right now I am using a double wrap of blue painter's tape and it also works fine. This "temporary fix" has worked for me for a year!!! Have fun, all!

Linda Rech

Olympia Wa

Thanks for all the help!!! As it so happens, my husband flies RC! In fact we built our house where we did because he can walk out of the garage and onto a flying field we maintain in the meadow in front of the house! I?ll give him the old piece and let him go get it for me. He?ll enjoy the excuse to visit our local Radio Control flying store. (I bought him a helicopter for Christmas).

The WD40 hint will also be very helpful. I?ve tried to push the current piece on tighter but it?s near impossible.

Thanks Everyone!

Catherine

PS: when he gets the tubing, I?ll post any identifying sizes or marking

:)

I just have to say that one thing is for certain when it comes to longarm machine quilters: You all are very resourceful and (especially the women who may not be mechanically inclined) -- you all aren't afraid to get right in that machine, grab your tools, and work on it...even if it's a temporary fix.

I think that is extremely cool. YOU GO GIRLS!! :P

PS: I am grateful for Mark and John (and Amy) who jump in here with their technical expertise. And also the sales reps who also know these machines inside and out... I don't know what we would do without you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I realise there's a huge difference in cost between a piece of tubing and the new turbo bobbin winder but that new winder is awesome and doesn't need tubing. I think its listed on the supplies page of this website. It would make a great mothers day present - its mothers day here in Australia today.

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

I just picked up some tubing they use in the hospital for IV and am hoping it is the right size 5/32 acording to the one message I read. Will let you know when I get back home. I am in New York right now. DH is in the VA Hospital in Manhattan. He is having surgery Monday for an aneurism on his aorta.

Archived