Quilting T-shirt quilts

I've been having trouble quilting T-shirt quilts. The stitches are skipping in the t-shirts. Usually if the shirt has thick printing on them or if the shirts are more of a poly blend. I never had trouble before. I used to do mostly panto designs but anymore I have to meander them and APQS recommended using a washaway and or a tearaway topping. This has helped. But today with even the stabilizer on the shirt the stitches were skipping. I've changed out all the thread guides, used thread conditioner, increased stitches per inch, slowed down and made sure the top and backing are not tight on the frame. I use Dream Cotton batting and So Fine thread. The stitches don't skip on any cotton fabric. I don't know what else to do! Help!

• 3 weeks later...

Cagey:  The needle bar height is really a part of the timing process.  It's the fist step in timing.  You take the side cover off, loosen the clamp screw on the needle bar, slide the bar up or down depending on the adjustment needed, and then tighten the clamp screw at the new position.  It has nothing to do with what you're quilting.  I think some folks mis-identify the hopping foot adjustment as a needle bar adjustment.

As an aside, I think a lot of folks have their needle bar clamp too loose.  You see people talking about frequently adjusting their needle bar from hitting a ruler, or even seams.  I've buried a needle in rulers on both of my machines occasionally, and never knocked the needle bar out of adjustment.  Hope this helps visualize the process.  Jim

Archived