Bright baby quilt

My friend is expecting her first Granddaughter. I had a lot of fun picking the fabric. The first quilting I did was SID. I thought that was too plain but I wanted it to be soft so I didn't want to over quilt.I used a curved ruler for the curved quilting. I like rulerwork. I don't care for the back. The quilting seems to be lost with the SID and curves mix. Is is customary not to sid when you do an all over design? Thanks for your suggestions.

post-67334-0-11588700-1462930452_thumb.jpg

post-67334-0-63363900-1462930485_thumb.jpg

post-67334-0-62545500-1462930507_thumb.jpg

I love to stitch in the ditch to keep blocks and pattern neat and not have seams that look distorted; I stitch designs right over it. Your quilt looks great! You will find many opinions on SID and ultimately, you own it and get to decide. There is no wrong answer. Here is a photo of one I tried not to SID and then went back and did it because of the distortion. The dark side was already ditched before stitching the pine cone.

17251882876_2637a25165.jpgPine Cones before Stitch in Ditch by Lisa C., on Flickr

Judy:

Since you are on George, I think you need to stitch from side to side and top to bottom in some areas just to stabilize the sandwich.  Maybe others can chime in knowing we both are on George.  

Also, while the all over does not pop out at you, it is noticeable when you look at the quilt, so I think you did a great job in the end.

Cagey

I am a bed quilt quilter.  No fancy stuff here.  My quilts get sat on by people and maybe a dog or two and thrown into the washer and dryer (maybe hang out on the line to dry).  I do like the softer feel of lightly quilted  quilts and my skills are basic....what I do mostly is a basic overall free motion design.  My favorites are loops and leaves.  The loops are fun and vary in size...I call them my angry bee design...ok..that is what Lucey sounds like when I do them.  sometimes I do double and triple loops..they are basically meandering in direction....I would love to do the work that a lot of you do but I am getting up there and my body has some issues so doing small work and intricate designs are literally a "Pain" for me and I lack the motor control at this point to pull them off...maybe some day.....or not...anyway, for now I will just do what I do and put some practice pieces on when I have the time and energy.  The folks I give my quilts to seem to like what I do and do use the quilts...so I am good with that.  Also, I don't have a lot of plain space in my quilts...most are busy and I find I am using so fine a lot and the stitching is not that apparent.  I rarely stitch in the ditch but if there is a lot of small piecing in the quilt, I just make my overalls on a smaller scale so more of the seams are covered by the quilting.  Lin

Archived