Ripping out almost entire lap quilt

Yesterday I ripped out a custom quilted lap quilt that was almost finished. This forum is wonderful. I found out how to skin a quilt and that's what I did. It still took a long time, but not near as long as it might have. Then I looked up how to stabilize a quilt and other tips, so hopefully I'll never have to do that again.

Today I got it back on the frame and started to quilt. So far looks good.

Deb.

Sheila

About ten years ago Bonnie Botts had a thread here that explained how to skin a quilt but it seems to have disappeared. Basically you can leave your quilt on the frame and gently pull the top up and and cut the thread in between the layers with razor blade or a sharp rotary cutter and the top will come off like skinning an animal. Do a Google search and you will find a video.

Nigel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like to use a scalpel to take out stitches rather than a razor blade. You can purchase them at a farm supply store with 6 or more to a package. They last a long time, so I am unsure of the current cost. Regardless...unsewing is never fun.

When one is unable to skin, yet the quilter1 needs to frog an area within the quilt,

Himself has a quick way to frog.  He cuts about every 3 or 4 stitches on one side

and then pulls the thread on the other side,  he can  out do me most of the tine.

Most of you already do it this way.      :P:D

Archived