Sign in to follow this  
Tammy V.

SID curves

I consider myself a fairly seasoned quilter but I've always had something that leaves me frustrated. Is there a trick to doing SID(stitch in the ditch) on curves? My current quilt has huge circles and really needs it. I've tried all my arc rulers and circle templates but nothing fits these curves. Any suggestions?? Thanks a bunch!! Tammy

Keep using your arc templates but realize that you'll need to make minute adjustments as you stitch. Even with an arc that perfectly matches the curve, slight differences in the piecing mean you'll need to go slowly and change the angle of the template quite a bit. But one nice thing is you have two sides you can use so you can avoid having to hold them behind the hopping foot. SIDing curves is a pain!   ;)

Linda Rech

Finely Finished Quilts

Millennium on Bliss rails--hand-guided

http://www.topperquilttools.com

I was watching some of the expert quilters up here and they were just using a small straight ruler to steady the foot and moved the ruler to go around the curves...but I suspect they have years and many hours of practice.  Lin

Ive been using Deloa's appliguide for YEARS, well, ever since it came out, and I've occasionally tried other rulers,....I KEEP going back to deloas!

It allows just the slightest hold, with the foot being centered In the ruler!

Easy curved shape for your hands to gently hold it.

F55CA928B31BF9D50E35FB71F402EFB1.png Millennium/IntelliQuilter 402-450-8321 Designer of the 1/2" foot for Ult II's. 1sheributler@gmail.com

I also like DeLoa's appliqué ruler, but often I just use a curved ruler and adjust the angle as needed (usually every few stitches).

Sandra Darlington

Darlington Quilts

2005 APQS Liberty, Circle Lord Enhanced

sandradarlington@aol.com or

DarlingtonQuilts@Gmail.com