Removing partly done quilt from frame

Ok, I could use some help or advice. My machine has given me nothing but headaches lately. I thought I had it all figured out and loaded an important quilt on the frame. Since I've loaded it, I've broke and bent probably 6 needles and have managed to put small holes in my quilt and backing. I think I need to remove the quilt from the frame but was wondering what the best way of doing that would be and how difficult it will be to get it back on the frame later. Should I pin the whole thing before I take it off? Also how would I get it back on later?

I would safety pin it so all three layers stay together. This is helpful when pining it back on your leaders, wonder how I know. Make sure your centers are marked it makes for easier replacement and not twisting quilt. Only did this once and then invested in two sets of zippers sooooo much easier.

I also love my zippers. But I always stabilize the whole quilt before removing the quilt. I baste or SID and I sew my backing to the leaders before I load it. It goes on and off the frame repeatedly with no issues whatsoever.

So glad you asked this question, I was just wondering this today.  I have a friend that will be doing a pantograph at my house.  We know she will not be able to finish it in one session and will need to come back at another time.  I have zippers.

So, we pin the back to the zippers and then float the batting and top.  Baste top/sides and do pantograph until she runs out of time.  

What do we do with the rest of the quilt that is still "floating" and not quilted or basted?  Do we baste it all the way down?  There will be no SID work since it will be all pantograph.   

I hope you get your machine working for you.  It sounds like you have had a rough time with it :(

I have leader grips. I had a queen size quilt on the frame and only had maybe 30" quilted when I needed to take it off. I didn't pin or baste the remaining quilt, just marked my centers of the backing, popped it off, and when I put it back on I just laid the whole thing over the frame, attached the backing with the leader grips in the front of the table and carefully rolled the backing with the batting and top carefully folded up until I could attach the whole thing to the take up roller. Then I pulled the batting and top underneath the belly bar and lined everything back up. I float my top and batting. Ended up with no pleats or tucks anywhere but maybe I was lucky.

As far as the machine I have no idea what to do with it. Sometimes it runs perfectly and is in great time and then all of the sudden I hit the hook assembly on the way down and break or bend the needle. No idea why. I've spent way more time working on it in the last year than I have spent sewing on it and half the time feel like I'm ready to give it away, give up and get a sit down quilter like George just for my own quilts.

As far as the leader grips I am ok with them but have never been able to get the individual sticks to stay together with tape or the shrinky things they come with so its floppy.

As far as the machine I have no idea what to do with it. Sometimes it runs perfectly and is in great time and then all of the sudden I hit the hook assembly on the way down and break or bend the needle. No idea why. I've spent way more time working on it in the last year than I have spent sewing on it and half the time feel like I'm ready to give it away, give up and get a sit down quilter like George just for my own quilts.

As far as the leader grips I am ok with them but have never been able to get the individual sticks to stay together with tape or the shrinky things they come with so its floppy.

so Sorry to hear about your troubles with your machine. With regards to the leader grips, you can join the sticks with a small screw thing ( can't remember the name) from the hardware store I think it was a 3 /16" size.. It s about 2" long and has a screw on both ends it fits snug screw it into one end of one stick then screw the other end to another.

stick. I am sorry I am so vague I will see if I can get the name and size of the item. It make quite a difference to the stability of the sticks.  

Ok here is a picture of the screw thingy...it is actually called a dowel screw or a double ended screw. i just measured the hole and it measures 1/8" so a dowel screw that is 1/8" or 3/16" would be close. Take a stick with you to the hardware and explain what you want to do, they will be able to help you find the proper size to join them together. I had to use pliers to put mine in they screw in tight I also put the shrink wrap around it when I was done, This makes quite a bit of difference in the stability of the sticks. 

cd79d289-9722-4351-970b-31767d59d449_400

Do you have an APQS machine? Something is obviously wrong to be breaking so many needles. The broken needles may very well have damaged your hook assembly. APQS will help you figure it out if it's one of their machines. I would call them.

Are the needles breaking at seam intersections with many layers of seam allowances?  I was breaking lots of needles like that until I figured out that I could go through almost any thickness if I would go very, very slowly, like one stitch at a time slow  if there were many layers of fabric.  

Carol

Thanks for the tip on the dowel screw things. I will give those a try if I ever get this figured out.

Yes I have an APQS machine, it's an Ultimate II. I have been communicating back and forth with Angie and Amy for nearly 3 weeks. With my night shift schedule which I stick to some what on my days off and being on the west coast it's difficult to talk on the phone with them but I've been emailing. The needles aren't breaking at seem allowances and honestly my machine doesn't really go really slowly, like one stitch at a time. I've changed out the speed knob and the motor on it. I've also retimed it more times than I can count including after needle breaks and bends. The other night though after my needle broke out of curiosity I put another back in and it seemed fine. It's like it's intermittently going out of time? I can see a spot on the hook assembly where the needle has hit, near the thumb but I can't tell why it's hitting. I've also tried adjusting the collar, checked if my needle is dropping (it's not). The last email from Amy said that it might be time to send my head in to the factory to see if there are issues with the shaft or something else. I have no idea what that would cost but I'm reluctant to keep putting money into this machine if it's never going to work right and I feel like I will never be able to sell it or get anything out of it again.

Batty:  I had a problem with needle damage on my Ult 2 some time back.  The machine sewed well most of the time, but often when the needle was deflected, the tip would be damaged or sometimes broken.  I finally discovered that my needle bar adjustment was incorrect.  After adjusting the needle bar, the problem went away.  Carefully check your timing again.  Pay particular attention to the needle bar height adjustment.  It sounds to me like your needle bar is set too deep.  If that's the case, after you adjust it, you'll have to re-time the hook.  BTW, what size needle are you using, and in fact exactly what needle are you using?  You might be using the wrong needle.  Larger needles deflect less than thinner ones.  The standard size is 4.0 or #18.  If you're using a thinner one, switch to an 18.  Good luck.  Jim

The needles I'm using are the ones I bought from APQS and the are #18. I had adjusted the needle bar height and sent a picture of it to Angie and she said it looked good. I've also been checking that each time I retime the machine. There have been times I've been able to sew for an hour or so and there have been times when I've sewed for only 5 minutes before I'm hitting something. Each time I take things apart and retime it all. I hate to send the machine off if it's just a mistake I'm making but I can't figure out what I could be doing wrong.

Batty:  Have you checked for hook shaft run out?  How about needle bar run out?  It's possible one of these might be the culprit.  If you pull and push on the needle bar and it moves, the bar and the bushings need to be replaced.  Similarly, if there is any movement when you push and pull on the hook something there needs fixing.  If the bobbin basket wobbles, the hook needs replacement.  If the basket doesn't wiggle, but the hook moves front to back, there's a problem with the hook shaft.  Hope you find the problem soon.  Jim

Batty:

I saw that Dave Jones was heading out west.  Maybe you could schedule a home visit with him, where he comes to your home gives your machine a spa treatment, and then shows you how to use the machine to is complete capabilities.  

Cagey

Archived