Rangely Star

I finally finished two of my UFOs.  The first is Deb Tucker's Rangely Star.  Do you agree with the judge that the border quilting doesn't go with the quilting in the rest of the wall hanging????  Since the fabric is busy, I chose to do piano keys in the inner and outer border.  Made sense to me.  Hobbs 80/20.  So Fine and Bottom Line.

The second wall hanging is a panel.  You border the inner section around the vase, then add the vine border next, then the outer borders.  Hobbs 80/20 and Dream Wool as I felt for the applique to pop I needed double batting.  So Fine and Bottom Line.

26847626073_2c7bd168d1.jpgRangely Star 020 by Libby G, on Flickr

27383364371_c9af6382eb.jpgRangely Star 026 by Libby G, on Flickr

27420597286_10cbd9c6cf.jpgRangely Star 025 by Libby G, on Flickr

27178517250_d17a2749e7.jpgVictorian Lace by Libby G, on Flickr

27355739612_ac773aa8a1.jpgVictorian Lace (3) by Libby G, on Flickr

27355721922_db49e3f9ba.jpgVictorian Lace (4) by Libby G, on Flickr

Libby, they are both beautiful.  I think your quilting is outstanding, as always.

I agree in the busy print piano keys are fine.  I've wasted a lot of time with detail quilting in a busy fabric only to be disappointed.  It's not only difficult to quilt because you can't see the quilting, but once you are done, again, you can't see the quilting!

I alway value others' opinions including judges but in the end as long as I'm happy with it (or the customer is) that's what counts.

Both are fabulous !     I sometimes wonder about Judges............at State Fair last year I entered a quilt............one place on the comments page said........."outstanding quilting"..........in another is said..........."quilting needs work"..........DUH???  This was on the same quilt !    I don't get it............. :unsure:

Libby, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.  The same thing has happened to me.  Sometimes I think the judges are not really interested in whether or not the quilting is appropriate for the fabric, they just want to see a lot of it.  YOU are the one that is important here, and if you like it then that's that.  By the way, I see by the comments that plenty of other people like it, too!

Libby:

I like all of your quilting.  I really like the feathers in both of them.  While the judge may have written what they did, you never know exactly why they did not like a quilt.  I could be colors, design, or event that they saw quilts like it in the show last weekend, and they are just tired of it.  They have to write something down, so they gave you what you got.  I for one would not worry about it, as I like both the quilt tops and more so the quilting.  Great job, and thank you for sharing.

Cagey

They both look fantastic to me, way beyond anything I could do yet.  But I can see a point about the judges' note: from the front the piano keys don't look like piano keys because of the horizontal puckering of the fabric around them.  Perhaps that's what the judge was noticing.  But as my wife frequently says, "If they're looking that close, then they're looking too d___ close!"

I am reminded of a story Sue Patten shared. Same quilt, two different shows. "Quilt has too many different background fills." Next show. .."Quilt could have benefitted from more variety in background fills." You know what judges opinions are like..and everybody has one. Beautiful quilting.

I showed dogs for years. I always looked at wins and losses as an opinion. An opinion is just that particular judges idea of a correct conformation dog. I see quilting judges the same. Just their opinion. Doesn't make it right or wrong, it is just what they like or prefer to see. I just nod and keep on going, doing what I like and prefer. Your quilting is beautiful.

Both quilts are just lovely! The quilt judges look for consistent density of quilting across the entire piece. I think that is what they are cmmenting on. I look at judge's comments and see what I can learn from them. And sometimes they are way off. The quilting is so lovely on the center of your quilts but the piano keys go a little puffy. If you had done some more of your beautiful feathers instead of the piano keys, you would have better density, and a beautiful view of the quilting on the back! The judges do view both sides, (my clients also look at both sides and sometimes like the quilting on the back where it shows up than the busy front)!

It is hard to see the thread in the busy fabrics so I turn off all the lights in my quilting room, even the one on the machine. Then I us a 24 inch fluorescent light from the left side that sits on my rails. You would be amaized how well you can see where you are going on busy fabrics. I do have to stop and move the light along with me as I go across the quilt. When I tried this the first time, I didn't know that you had to turn off all the lights but the side one. Just throwing more and more light on it doesn't work. You need a side light.

The judge did not comment on the quilting density. The judge said the piano keys didn't "go" with the rest of the quilt. That may have been slightly more valid if the judge had offered an alternative that would "go" with the rest of the quilt. If the judge can't be more specific, the criticism is basically worthless. I see no problems with either the style or density. Again..opinions...

Beautiful. I had to keep looking at your quilts before posting. Judges :huh:  Sometimes I wonder about them. You just repeated the piano keys from the inner border. And yes, the fabric is busy, so why put designs that would be lost. Personally, I think piano keys are a traditional quilting pattern, and you did feathers, very traditional. Who knows what they are thinking.....both quilts are beautiful and you did a perfect job.

Libby I think they are both beautiful.  I also think the piano key borders were appropriate and you used them in two places.  I did have to blow up the picture because it almost looked like a more modern treatment because of the shadows.  Maybe that is what the judge saw?  Maybe she wanted something more dense, although I see nothing wrong with the density.  You are 100% correct that nothing would have really showed in that fabric!

Both of the quilts are lovely and I think that the piano keys are appropriate for the areas where they were quilted.  The eyes need resting places when viewing quilts and you put extraordinary quilting in the right places.  Sometimes it is hard to understand the comments of a judge, and it is only one person's opinion.  Keep on quilting the way that you do, I have never seen you go wrong.   :)

Your quilting is over the top on both of these show pieces!  Don't let one judge's opinion deter you one bit.  That's just one person's opinion.  I would have quilted piano keys or beadboard also in those busy fabric borders.  

Your quilts are totally lush. One judge was heard to say, "I hope there aren't any feathers, I'm tired of comparung the quilts to one another.

I didn't know they could do that. Isn't the judging to be on the one quilts merits at a time?

And the winner with the most positive marks.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived