Angela Walters is coming to Des Moines, IA

I am a lucky girl. The Des Moines Area Quilters Guild is having Angela Walters for their June meeting. She is giving 2 lectures on modern quilting and teaching 2 all day classes using domestic machines. I am taking both of her classes. Now all I have to do is learn how to use my basic stitch regulator on my Bernina! It is just too hard to take my big girl Millie to a class

When I took Angela's class, I also felt it would be too hard to take my Milli, :D  so I just took a large drawing tablet and wile everone else was using their domestic machines, I practiced drawing out the designs.  I was amazed at how easy it was to do these designs on my Milli when I got home.   I sort of held my pencil in my whole hand rather than just in my fingers so make it more like moving a machine.  Just an idea for you.

David and Vicki:

I can make you one out of PVC if you want.  Something like this, but you would move the PVC machine head verses the moving the paper.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD6AErE386g

post-65706-0-72241100-1465578273_thumb.jpg

I think $200 would easily cover the cost as a great deal of engineering and precision manufacturing will be involved.  The buyer will be responsible for purchasing the paper, and the 20 pound dumbbell to simulate the machine head weight.  Just tell me how many are interested, so I can get to making them.  I think it may help pay for my monthly fabric and thread fix.

Cagey

Oh, how funny! I forgot that I jury rigged one of these to show my guild how they could practice drawing domestic machine designs. If you turned it upside down it would be like a long arm. Wouldn't the other class members be stunned to see me drawing with that?!

I do have a new Bernina with a basic stitch regulator on it that I have never even taken out of the package. I think I will try it out. AND Gina Perks just did a segment on The Quilt Show showing how to use long arm rulers on a domestic machine. She puts some sticky dots on her fingers to move the fabric around and get a better grip on her ruler. I want those sticky dots!

David and Vicki:

I can make you one out of PVC if you want.  Something like this, but you would move the PVC machine head verses the moving the paper.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD6AErE386g

attachicon.gifsimulator.jpg

I think $200 would easily cover the cost as a great deal of engineering and precision manufacturing will be involved.  The buyer will be responsible for purchasing the paper, and the 20 pound dumbbell to simulate the machine head weight.  Just tell me how many are interested, so I can get to making them.  I think it may help pay for my monthly fabric and thread fix.

Cagey

Thanks for the offer Cagey, but I'm still saving to upgrade my longarm!  Any extra $ is going to that!

Vicki:

The $200 was a joke, you can make probably make one for under $20.  Just make it like in the video, but place handles sticking towards you by the pen.  Also add 4 small casters on the leg bottom.  Then pickup some end of role newspaper print paper and you would be good to go for practicing without actually having a machine.  Though in the end, just drawing it out on paper would probably work about the same.  Your just trying to build muscle/brain memory as how to lay down the thread and design.  Best of luck to you.

Cagey

Archived