Why should I purchase a Millenium?

Hi all, I’m new here and I am in the process of upgrading my longarm, I have an 18” machine and I’m at the point where I would like more quilting space.  I’ve researched a bunch of machines, and spent some time on the ones that I would be interested in.  I know what I like and what I don’t like in the machines that I have tried. I have never tried an APQS but will be going to a show in July to try out the Millie. 

My question is, what was the reason or reasons you decided on the APQS machine?  I’ve watched a bunch of videos and reviewed the website so I know what is appealing to me about them, but maybe there’s something that you all can share that I might not have considered. Thanks!

Vicki

CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!! and this forum.  Yes, I did mean to shout it out in caps.   You have 24 hour access on this forum to get help.  The APQS machines are very friendly for the user to do maintenance, they rarely have to be returned to the factory (in fact I don't recall any going back to the shop for problems).  They are built with love and are work horses that keep their value for many years.  The warranty is lifetime and so is the factory support.  The machines float like clouds, reducing stress on your body.  I can go on forever but will let others give you their opinions.  APQS is a family that is always ready to help each other no matter the topic or situation.  Have fun testing the APQS machines, you won't go back to others. 

Well I have to admit...some of the other machines are fancier looking....but....that is on the the outside.....I read this forum before buying mine and also looked for similar forums for some of the other manufacturers and also checked out their websites for posted info...well...I think APQS beats in that category.  And I liked what I was reading about folks being able to fix most any problem at home with the help of videos or printed materials or online coaching provided by customer support or the folks on this forum.  After all, It would be a pain to have to take off the machine and ship it back to the factory for repairs...now some folks here do that after a lot of years of use but I think that means the machines are worth repairing when needed and last for years...another reason I bought Lucey was that it was a used machine and I got it for a better price than I could find for other machines and there was a warranty on it...I also looked at the "famous" quilters who have APQS machines and it looks like with the right person operating them...one can win ribbons.  Lin

I had a Millie for a few years, sold it to work in the real word. Then after several years I needed a quilting machine. I had the chance then to buy any machine on the market. I tried them all, and some were pretty nice, but when it came right down to it, I knew APQS. I knew how I could fix anything I needed to and I was not afraid to try. If I couldn't fix it, I could get on this forum or in desperation, call APQS and ta-da problem solved. I love APQS and I love the machines.

Vicki:

I would suggest you see what the different machine heads weight.  It takes effort to change direction and speed of heavier machines.  APQS weigh less, and I found it easier to use.  I do not think you can go wrong with APQS.  They have a true lifetime warranty.  Have fun shopping.  

Cagey

I agree with everything that everyone has said.  My husband put mine together when I got it and he couldn't stop saying how well it was built.  I had a customer come and look at mine yesterday and her husband who was an engineer  was impressed with the construction as well.  It is American made, too, which is something no one has mentioned.  Customer service is the tops.  We are a family.  AND....I think the machines look great, let along sews great.  

I like APQS for the same good reasons stated above. Also, I have become a very fast over all quilter and some of the lighter machines can't move as fast as I can quilt. Millie keeps up with me. My Millie has also quilted through some pretty thick art type quilts with no problems. I really think she is the best

Lifetime warranty. It shows they are confident in the quality of the machine. You do not pay extra to get quality features. There are some options, but you don't need to pay extra to get the best quality stitches. These machines have been around a long time, and I don't know of anything in the past ten years that they "no longer support." I would recommend the Bliss option if it is in your budget. I love my 2009 Millenium, and have had zero problems. I use it a lot, and even my thread guides are still in good shape. My friend quilts less and has had to replace hers on another popular brand machine. It's a small thing, but it speaks to quality.

Thank you everyone for your input.

I've read and watch the video about the "smart bobbin".  Would you all suggest going with the L bobbin? What are your feelings on that? I don't think changing the bobbins more often will be an issue for me.

Thanks again!

Vicki

Someone will need to chime in on this one.  I've only worked with the L-Bobbins and love them.  I don't mind the changes but I'm currently not quilting for anyone except myself.  Those who are running a business like the M-bobbins for time use.  I don't know what show you're going to but most of the APQS dealers are quilters just like you and me, not "company people".  You might just see a local APQS machine owner/quilter in the booth giving demos, etc.  Have fun!

You can't go wrong with an APQS Machine I bought my used 2005 Millie 4 years ago and I have not looked back. I did bliss my frame and love it. Drive one I am sure you will love it also. Support staff are awesome. and the forum if full of very smart and helpful people. You feel like you belong to a family here. Welcome

I chose APQS Millie after trying all the brands at quilt shows. The machine weighed less than the others and was very easy to move around free motion quilting. The stitch regulator is wonderful and I had the prettiest stitches no matter which direction I quilted. Customer service and lifetime warranty were a big part of why I chose APQS. And the table with Bliss is fantastic. The machine and table looked prettier than some of the other brands, not as industrial as some others, and since my set up is in the family room that was a plus. I chose the L bobbin because a few APQS professional quilters at the shows used L bobbin size.

Have fun trying out all the machines, happy shopping!

Vicki:  You won't go wrong buying any of the top line (APQS, A-1, Gammill, Innova, Nolting or Prodigy) machines.  That being said assuming you like the APQS, the main reason to buy it is the customer service.  Their support is outstanding.  I think the others probably do a good job, but I have first hand experience with APQS, and theirs is great.  This forum is great.  I was on Gammill's for some time, and their's was good, but not this good.  It wasn't as user friendly nor quite so family like.  Nolting's also wasn't as good.

The folks at APQS really are interested in seeing that your machine performs well, and is up and running as quickly as possible if you should have any down time.  They're easy to get a hold of, and most helpful.  Parts are shipped out quickly, and they provide all sorts of helpful instructions.  They couldn't be nicer.  There are somethings I don't like about their current line, (that can be said for everyone of the manufacturers I've mentioned) but you can't find a better company to do business with.  Jim

I just took delivery yesterday on my second Millenium!    Customer Service is outstanding...........quality is great...........my husband, too, was impressed with the quality of the frame and everything when we went to look the first time.  It helps that I only live anhour from the showroom in Des Moines and a couple hours from the factory in Carroll..........Can't beat the Lifetime warranty now.............my first one had 8 years and I thought that was fantastic...........

Someone will need to chime in on this one.  I've only worked with the L-Bobbins and love them.  I don't mind the changes but I'm currently not quilting for anyone except myself.  Those who are running a business like the M-bobbins for time use.  I don't know what show you're going to but most of the APQS dealers are quilters just like you and me, not "company people".  You might just see a local APQS machine owner/quilter in the booth giving demos, etc.  Have fun!

I had the M bobbin in my Handi Quilter and they were nice...........I stayed with the L bobbin on my new one because I already have a bunch of bobbins and I can use the same ones (except for the magna glide) in my DSM too.  

Thanks again, all.  Your responses have been really helpful.

I chose the L bobbin because a few APQS professional quilters at the shows used L bobbin size.

Funny you said that, Nicholette.  I told my husband that Marilyn Badger won best of show at Paducah and she quilts on an APQS - he immediately asked which size bobbin she uses!

• 4 months later...

Hello, I've been quilting for 8 years and love it, except finish stitching in a straight line!  I'm am totally ready to get a LAQ and have spent a lot of time looking at various brands and have learnt allot about the features and technology available.  Hands down, the machine for me is a Millie, well if I could afford one that is!  :(   Having said that, one of the features that nobody mentioned here that really interests me was the ability to lock the wheels to do straight lines!  Yes after complaining about quilting in straight lines, that is one of the features I really like about the Millie.  I'm working on a queen size quilt right now and getting it to fit inside the 9.5inch throat of my sewing machine is a real pain and I'm not overly pleased with the results.  I like to use diamond patterns on certain quilts cause they look really nice that way.  The other feature I really like is the top tension bar on the deluxe table.  That just makes so much sense to me.

Cheers,  Pat...

I agree with all that has been said above, except I decided to go with the M bobbin. I haven't had any problems with the M bobbin and I'm glad I went with it. When I asked about using the M bobbin verses the L bobbin, Jim said he was able to compare them both on the same machine and he couldn't tell the difference. I had an L bobbin on a different machine, and decided to go with an M bobbin on my Millie. I figured I would always wonder if I should have gone with the M bobbin if I didn't get it. I thought if I didn't like it, it wouldn't be too expensive to change down to the L bobbin.

Also besides lifetime warranty on parts and labor, that includes electrical too.

Deb.

Archived