Spiderwebs

Short of having to use a pantograph, does anyone have any good suggestions for a continuous line spiderweb that I can free motion from one block to another block?  Is there a trick? Like possibly doing a zigzag all the way across the quilt first, coming back in the opposite direction with another zigzag to get the straight lines.   I don't know.    I have been looking at the pantos trying to come up with a design that way.

If you have blocks I would make  the framework of the web from corner to corner then add one or two lines in between to form the frame then start making curves from one line to the next spiraling in towards the center then sneak back out on one of the frame lines that goes to the corner and make another web and continue across the quilt. Come out of the center towards the direction you want to make the next web. Sorry if this is confusing  hope it helps.

Mark diagonals from both corners through the center and two more lines that cross the block and hit the center---for interest they can be offset a bit, not symmetrical. Start in the upper left-hand corner, stitch on the mark across to the opposite corner, SID up the seam to the next line, stitch across, SID to the next line, across, SID again, and across, and stop. You have 8 radiating lines and the base of your spiderweb. Backtrack almost to the center and stitch arcs between the lines (like little spider smiles), enlarging the spirals of arcs as you advance. Fill the block and plan your quilting so you end at the base line that points to the upper right-hand corner. Backtrack on the base line to that corner and start the next block of spiderwebs. Hang a little spider down on a strand where it will show, just for interest. Have fun!

Linda, thank you..  I am going to try and draw that up on paper and see if I can get this to work for me.  Also, thanks for the cute panto ideas, too.  If I resort to using a panto, I love the one with the spiders.  I had already planned on adding a spider somewhere on the quilt once I completed it.  When I get this one done, I will post a picture.  Thanks for all your advice.  

Here is Leah Day's free motion method, and if you do an internet search for "spider web quilt stencil" you will find a number of different designs that may work for you.

http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/2009/10/day-52-spider-web.html

Watching the video it looks like you can easily work from the inside to the outside, so you can easily move from one block to another.

Best of luck to you.

Cagey

Archived