Worth going to MQX for non-longarmer?

Hello - I have seen several posts about disappointing quilt shows. I am wondering if it would be worth driving aprox. two hours to the MQX show in Springfield IL this October? I do not own a longarm, unless I win the Millie giveaway  :D .  I have a Tiara 2 sit-down machine and am slowly becoming familiar with it. It seems that most of the classes are already full, or geared to longarm machines only, so I would really only be attending the actual quilt show and checking out the vendors. Does anyone have any estimate of how many vendors there might be? Any info is appreciated. Thank you!

Lynn

I don't know about the show but I think you would surely benefit from going. I also have a sit down machine. I see ideas for long arms and then use them with my George. Any time you are around other quilters it is inspiring. If you can, make the trip.

Lynn, It's worth going just because you might have a chance to meet me there. LOL. I'm planning on going for one day at least. It'll be my first time at an MQX show.

OK, then... that settles it!  I'll make the drive up and check it out. Thank you for replying!

Lynn:

I have a George, so I understand what you mean.  As long as you can in your mind transition the machine movement to moving your hands, any longarm classes should be fine.

If Cindy Needham is there teaching, I would say take her classes.  I found her to be outstanding for sit-down quilting.  She teaches on DSMs, so it all transfers to you Tiara.  I have not taken her online classes, but if they are half a good as she is in person I thing they would be well worth the money.  I have also taken classes from Paula Reed on sit-down and found her to be a great teacher.  

Best of luck to you.

Cagey

Lynn

I've only been to one MQX (Portland) a few years ago. It was very good. Even if you don't take a hands-on class, consider attending a 1-2 hour lecture or demo-style lecture. They are very informative and often include a Q&A session.

Leslie

Thanks for the info everyone!  I have my reservations made, and I signed up for the APQS Demo. I'm looking forward to it all, and my husband is coming along too. We'll hit some of the Lincoln historic sites while we're in Springfield. We're making it a long weekend road trip. 

Archived