To Make A Short Story Long!!!!!!

Please bear with me.....I'm leading up to a question at the end.

The first week of March I lost my baby brother who had a heart attack.  The first week in May I lost my next youngest brother in a house fire...so that's 2 brothers within 7 weeks of one another.  To say that put me in a funk would be an understatement.

I haven't really been able to get into much of anything.  I have a quilt on my frame that I put on it back in February and haven't touched it since all of this happened.  This week I decided I needed to do something to get me started again.

I decided I needed to make another quilt where I didn't have to do a lot of thinking of how this should go or that should go....no color matching...no hard patterns...no difficult quilting designs......I JUST NEEDED SOMETHING FUN THAT WOULD GET ME STARTED QUILTING AGAIN.

It's probably going to be very colorful which is ok by me...will probably just use it in our camper.

I remembered that several years ago my wife and I rented a log cabin on a lake for our anniversary.  The cabin had two queen size beds in it and on each bed was a queen size quilt that was made out of half square triangles on point....it had simple stippling for the quilt designs.  Nothing really fancy but it appealed to me and I said I was going to make one someday so I took pictures of them.

So I decided this was the time...I didn't want to buy new fabric so I grabbed all my scraps and started making half square triangles....when I had about half of what I needed made I decided I would start sewing them together to see what it would look like....REMEMBER....I didn't want to deal with matching colors....so I put all the triangles into a small trash can and started tossing them like you would when making a salad....then I started making blocks out of the triangles....didn't matter which colors went where....I just started sewing.

IF YOU MADE IT THIS FAR THEN HERE IS THE QUESTION:

How to quilt it once finished.  I've only seen stippling and straight line stitching patterns on half square triangle quilts.  I want to use CLAIM SHELLS....how bad do you think that would look?

Be honest...won't hurt my feelings.  (Yea I know I said I wasn't going to stress myself with decisions on this quilt..but hey...I'm a quilter)

Attached is a picture of the quilt so far....only blocks made....not sewng together and not near enough to finish quilt.

post-66081-0-32504300-1466685877_thumb.jpg

David, such a great loss! I'll be praying for you and your family.

Now, if you want to do clam shells, then do clam shells. Whether it looks good (and on this quilt they will!) or whether it doesn't, you get to play however you want to.

I don't really have a good time with scrappy. I tend to want to agonize over every fabric choice. So I usually do what you did. I put the patches in a bag, tote, project box, cardboard box or all of the above, close my eyes and grab. My only time I throw one back and pick something else is when the exact same fabric (pattern and color) would wind up next to each other.

We want to see the final results, of course. Have FUN!

David, I am so sorry for your losses.  I was wondering why you hadn't been on the forum much lately.

This is going to be a really fun quilt, and I think clam shells would look great on it.  I am like Sharon, agonizing over color choices even on scrappy quilts.  Your salad method is what I do, too, just to force myself not to overthink the process.  When it's all done, your quilt will be beautiful, and remind you of your beloved brothers.

This project will help you heal---anything that takes your head away from the pain and gives you a bit of peace is a good thing.

As for the clamshells? It's a perfect design since you can stitch continuous curves on the piecing to get what you want.  Mindless quilting that will be beautiful! The on-point setting will make the shells upright and be perfect. Sending a hug.

Right on! I agree! So sorry for your lost. Praying you will feels God's comfort and you enjoy this wonderful quilt. Remember  your brothers are smiling down aer you!!!! Hugs!!!  Cant wait to see it finished!!! Your quit of healing!!!!

David. Sorry for your loss but happy for your brothers. They won the race. I think clamp shells will look great. I had also been wondering about you. I have started on my summer trip north so I will be hand piecing and knitting until through middle of September. I will surely be glad to see George though when I get back to the ranch. I pray for peace for you and your family.

David:

I would suggest larger clam shells if you want to cover the entire quilt top with them, 1 inch or larger.  Cindy Needham sells stencils to make the marking of the quilt top easier.  I have used them, and was well pleased with the results.  Here is a link to the stencils, http://cindyneedham.com/ultimate_background.html  If you scroll down, there are videos explaining how to use and stitch them.  The twisted clam is also interesting, and provides a nice covering.

I hope the piecing and quilting helps relieve some of the pain of your loss.  As long as someone remembers a person that has passed, they live on.

Cagey 

David I am so very sorry for your loss. I think you should go with clamshells it would look great. Sometimes you just have to fly with a design idea and go for it. So glad to see you back on forum and that quilting is helping you get thru such a tough time. One of my customers did a king quilt with all scraps left over and it turned out lovely.

David, I am so sorry for your loss. This quilt is the perfect way to start healing. I love scrappy quilts and this is going to be beautiful. I usually don't do clam shells but they will look good on this quilt. I love spirals and I see an entire quilts with spirals. One of my fabric patterns is Dizzy Izzy Baby ( http://www.digitechpaper.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=izzy+baby&Submit=Search ).

Have fun and I hope this project lets you reflect on your brothers and begin the healing process.

David,

I am so sorry for your losses! I can't imagine......

Anyways I will include you and your family in my prayers.

Now as far as the quilt; I would have to agree with everyone... the clamshells would look great! Whenever I am depressed, down in the dumps or stressed, quilting just lifts my spirits.

Thanks everybody for your well wishes, prayers and good thoughts.  Today I get to sew all the rows together...as I'm sewing I'm singing Dolly Parton's Coat of Many Colors...man is this thing going to be colorful...BUT...at least it won't be dreary.

Hi Dave, new-to-forum here, My heart aches for you, I know the feeling of loosing a brother let alone two in such a short  time. Quilting is the best remedy for an aching heart.  Your approach  is exactly what you need.  Clam shells will be beautiful.  Make sure you put on some music that reminds you of them and while stitching relive joyful times together as brothers just like clam shells stitched as if joining hands for ever.

Just go for it, no worries, no stressing, just you and your brothers.

Lucrecia

• 2 weeks later...

Archived