Glide magna bobbins

Just wanted to get some feedback on the magna bobbins by glide. I have never used them and wanted to give them a try if I got some good reviews on here. Also is there more thread on these bobbins than if I were to wind my own bobbins. And has anyone had bad experiences with them.

Thank you ahead of time for taking the time to read this.

So I got my older long arm a year ago and bought a bunch of these. Seemed ok at first but lately I've been having a lot of problems with my machine. I had Dave Jones come out and work on my machine Sunday and he stated he didn't like them. Checked my machine over and did a few adjustments and was sewing fine with a self wound bobbin. Put a manga glide on and broke a needle within 5 minutes. Granted I think it's mostly my machine that doesn't like them and for many they work fine. I think I'm done using them for now though unless I get a newer machine. I did just try to wind a manga glide bobbin on to a regular bobbin and I have thread left on the manga glide so there is more thread on them.

There are different types of Magna-Glide Bobbins, so you can't classify them all the same!  There are Delights which have the Glide thread on them, so they match the top thread and is a 40 wt thread.  these are thicker, so they have less thread on them than the Classic magna glide bobbins.  The "classics", have a 60 wt thread, so yes, they hold alot more thread.  I absolutely love these! They run beautifully and I can't imagine how it could cause needle breaks.  These have magnets so if you are doing the drop test for testing your tension, it doesn't work with these!  You need to just go by feel.  If you are loosening these bobbins enough to get them to "drop" then you have the tension too loose.

I have pretty much stopped winding my own bobbins and use the "classic" magna glides exclusively.  I have all the colors available in the "classics" and can usually get a color that will blend with my backing.

When I use glide thread and so fine in my bobbin (I wind my own bobbins) and glade for the top I always have tension problems. When I use glide in my bobbin (I wind my own bobbin) my tensions is good. I am concerned if I use glide in the top and buy the Magna glide classic pre wound bobbins I am concerned that I will have tension problems. Not knowing the differents in the thread I ordered the delights to try out. I have a king size quilt that I am going to use them on (when I get them). Where do you buy your bobbins?

I use Magna Classics Exclusively,.....

No matter what top thread I use,....... LOVE THEM,....

and these are the only colors I ever use,......

always blend,....  Never have to worry,.....

attachicon.gifbobbins.jpg

Aren't the classics a finer thread? When I ordered my fist bunch of thread I bought glide for the top and so fine for the bottom. This was what someone recommended to me. I have always had tension problems with it so I put glide on top and glide in the bobbin and I never had a problem with that combo. I have always filled my own bobbins but they run out quickly.

Aren't the classics a finer thread? When I ordered my fist bunch of thread I bought glide for the top and so fine for the bottom. This was what someone recommended to me. I have always had tension problems with it so I put glide on top and glide in the bobbin and I never had a problem with that combo. I have always filled my own bobbins but they run out quickly.

The Classics are wound with Bobbin Line thread,.... yes,.. it is thinner,....

I make a quick adjustment on the top tension for Selected top thread,... and start quilting,....

the Bobbin thread just melts into the backing fabric,..... 

I believe you get a consistent 127 yds on each "L" bobbin,....  Not sure on the "M" bobbins,....

The Classics are wound with Bobbin Line thread,.... yes,.. it is thinner,....

I make a quick adjustment on the top tension for Selected top thread,... and start quilting,....

the Bobbin thread just melts into the backing fabric,..... 

I believe you get a consistent 127 yds on each "L" bobbin,....  Not sure on the "M" bobbins,....

Where do you buy your bobbins? I do not have a business but would like to keep them on hand because I do quilts for some of my friends.

Where do you buy your bobbins? I do not have a business but would like to keep them on hand because I do quilts for some of my friends.

If you have a local source for Glide! threads,... I would ask if they carry the bobbins as well,...

or,.. If they would be willing to order in for you,....

If not,...  You can find an online retailer that carries Fil-tec and order from them.....

I purchase mine from Myrna Ficken at www.aquilterschoice.com

Hope this helps,.....

Have a great day,...

Laura

If you have a local source for Glide! threads,... I would ask if they carry the bobbins as well,...

or,.. If they would be willing to order in for you,....

If not,...  You can find an online retailer that carries Fil-tec and order from them.....

I purchase mine from Myrna Ficken at www.aquilterschoice.com

I

Hope this helps,.....

Have a great day,...

Laura[/quote

I checked the website you sent but did not find the bobbins there. I am tired and maybe just missed them but I sure thought I looked at the site pretty good and did not find them.

The website for MagnaGlides is bobbincentral.com

I think you have to have an account to buy directly from them now.

But more & more retailers are carrying them, so you should be able to find some.

Archived